• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RTV in diff...

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
Scraping off old RTV when changing diff fluid, got a little bit inside the diff...cleaned most of it out but there are little specs that i can still see...not many at all...i mean like the size of a sand grannular and there are maybe 3 or 4 that i can see...how do i clean them out..they are in grooves i cant get to...is it ok to leave it like that or maybe run some clean fluid over the gears till its clean or compressed air? any thoughts?

Rubber vs. mashing metal. Metal wins. No need to worry about RTV. Sand, dirt, metal shavings would be cause for concern.

You have ruined your Jeep.
Please PM me so that I can properly dispose of it for you. :laugh3:

Seriously, though. Here's a quote from the factory service manual:
"NOTE: Trac-Lok® (limited-slip) differentials may be cleaned only by disassembling the unit and wiping with clean, lint-free rags. Use no chemical solvents or compressed air."

I clean my diffs out using spray brake cleaner. I try to keep from spraying it hard at areas that contain the seals though. It's does a great job.

all done, thanks for the thoughts....i just ended up running some lube over it and it washed right down. thanks again

Back