• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bedlined interior

davidt

NAXJA Forum User
well here is what I was up to tonight, prepping for doing the interior in bedliner. I sure do hate rust There was a ton of rust under the vinyl flooring and under the bedliner type material (you can kind of see it on the curved part of the floor board, it is white) so it took me 6 hours to prep it. Just a few pictures I took while in process of cleaning it up...
interior1.jpg

interior2.jpg

I am also doing the roof (stupid saggy headliner. I am basically doing the whole interior. It will be done by tomorrow night and I will keep you updated
roof.jpg

P.s. did I mention that I HATE rust? Luckily it wasn't deep enough to where I had to replace any sheet metal
Also a piece of advice, the flap disks that you can buy for grinders at walmart work way better than wire wheels! Only problem is it broke on me (I hate cheap wal-mart crap) about half way through. I am using the dupont spray can stuff from wal-mart. I will keep you all updated.

Here is the completed product, all in all it took me about 10-12 hours to do it. If I hadn't got all of the rust off, it would have taken a lot less time. All in all, I am happy with the end result. I used the duplicolor stuff from walmart

Passenger Side
interior5.jpg

Back Wall
interior6.jpg

Drivers Side
interior7.jpg

nother
interior8.jpg

Roof
roof3.jpg

87CherokeeChief said:
nice job! looks really good.

HOLY CRAP!!! HOW CAN YOU DRIVE WITH 4 PEDALS DOWN THERE!?!?!
Thanks for the compliments, as for your question, I have 2 trannies and three legs, I drive really well ;) It is an ebrake, that is where it is on the mj's.

Looks good. I herculined 3 XJs and 3 YJs and really like the stuff. I didn't line as much stuff as U have here, I just did the floor and wheel wells in the interior and used Durabak smooth red on the exterior. What product did U use it looks to smooth to be Herculiner unless U didn't stir it and didn't use that much rubber granuals. Do they use alot of salt on the roads in Reno? I'm glad they don't here in Cali, I hated how much they used when I lived in Illinois, everything rusted new and old out there in no time.
Troy

yup, it is duplicolor, it is already starting to chip a little. Oh well, I can always touch it up, I am going to put some mats down and that would help to stop the chipping

I've been hearing good things about por-15 but it is pretty expensive as well
which is better the por-15 or herculiner and which is cheaper?

my floor dosent have any holes yet (very surprising since i have an 86 and the put down tons of salt around here) so I'm going to do it this summer before I have no floor

por-15 is paint, herculiner is bedliner. Herculiner is only $60 for a complete roll on kit (roller, pan, 1 gallon of herculiner )at kragen (but you probably don't have one of those in canada), usually though it is about $80-100.

Por-15 isn't that expensive, like 45 per quart. Took me only 1 quart to do the inside of the XJ, 2 light coats (as recommended) all of it from back to front. Even have some left over. The black looks really cool, as it looks like oil when light hits it. Only problems are the prep, which you have to clean the paint off and then prep the metal to etch it so that the por-15 has something to grab onto. Also if you are going to let it sit in the sun, it needs a topcoat, although they said the topcoat was needed just to keep the color, not the protective effects. Well worth it, and it is STRONG. Took a hammer to it and didn't chip at all.

Kellen

I did the floor of mine with the wally world duplicolor bed liner, and scraped it out a week later and put in the real stuff. I bought the gallon can, it was around 90 bucks. 3-4 coats on the drivers floor and 2 on the rest and i still have half a can left, it goes a long way and is worth the money

Back