• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Bodywork question

AngryDog

NAXJA Forum User
I am now starting work on the body of my 89 XJ after all the cool mods I have done. I have a few questions.

1. How should I go about patching some small rust threws just behind the read doors, down by the rocker. I replaced the rocker with soild 2 by 4 tubes getting rid of the rusted out ones. Now I need to patch a small hole where the rust wandered up the sides. (weld in pieces or bondo or something else)

2. Steel rocker tubes and rock gaurds? What sould I use to prime and paint them with for best protection?

3. How much air will the 2 by 4 by 62 inch tube hold if I amke them into air tanks? (pressure and volume)

4. Body paint job? Anybody got any recommendation on producing a good camo effect. (mossy oak style)

If the holes you are fixing are any bigger around than your pinky use sheet metal . For tiny fixes bondo works ok. As far as an easy camo job spray cans and bomb the pi$$ out of it!! (real cheap). if you want to go with a professional looking camo job there are a few companies that make camo body decal kits . I have a neighbor with a realtree camo 96' XJ and it looks hot he used one of those kits.

2. Steel rocker tubes and rock gaurds? What sould I use to prime and paint them with for best protection?

3. How much air will the 2 by 4 by 62 inch tube hold if I amke them into air tanks? (pressure and volume)

What is the wall thickness of that 2x4 tube / what kind of steel?

Back