• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diff. Fluid Question?

CherokeeChic

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

I have a 98 Cherokee Sport and I need to change the front and rear fluid in my differentials. I don't have any towing packages and I just wanted to make sure that I can use the SAE 75W-90 in both the front and the rear differential. Thanks for all of the help.

CherokeeChic said:
Hey,

I have a 98 Cherokee Sport and I need to change the front and rear fluid in my differentials. I don't have any towing packages and I just wanted to make sure that I can use the SAE 75W-90 in both the front and the rear differential. Thanks for all of the help.

Yes you can but keep in mind that if you have a limited slip in the rear you will need to add a bottle of additive to the rear diff ($10 at the dealership)

75W90 will be fine, although I believe the factory changed over to using the heavier weight in all vehicles, with and without the tow package. If you have a Trac-Lok rear differential, be sure to add the friction modifier.

Thats correct. You should need a little less than 4 quarts for both differentials. I'd also recommend synthetic gear oil if you want to spend the extra money. It lasts longer and pays for itself in gas mileage.

Kejtar said:
Yes you can but keep in mind that if you have a limited slip in the rear you will need to add a bottle of additive to the rear diff ($10 at the dealership)

I'm kinda new at this so how do I find out if I have limited slip in the rear? Thanks for all of the help.

CherokeeChic said:
I'm kinda new at this so how do I find out if I have limited slip in the rear? Thanks for all of the help.
1. get a build sheet from the dealership
or
- jack up the rear end so both tires are off the ground
- make sure that the parking brake is not set
- spin one tire by hand and look at the opposite tire:
If the opposite tire is going in the same direction as your tire then you have limited slip. If it is turning in the opposite direction then either you have no limited slip or it died.

Back