• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who's red XJ with hidden winch

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
that was on one of the posts about a week ago. I do not remember the day or the article to make a search. It appeared to be a home made/modified front bumper with the winch behind it. I would like to see that picture again to get some ideas to make mine. TIA :wave:

Search on "hidden winch" ... but the thread where we were discussing it was more than a week ago. Probably about 3 weeks back

ask 35XJ... he builds a nice one.. I'll be gettin one sometime soon...

xj_bumper_002.jpg

It's red and it's hidden.....

Last edited:
I got mine from 35XJ it works very well. If you decide to get one from him make sure you specify whether or not you have a automatic transmission. The cooler lines will need to be taken into acccount and notched out in the bumper. I'm very pleased with mine.
Click on the link in my signature for pictures of the bumper in the ENGINE Spec section.

I LOVE that bumper...time to look him up...

Thanks guys. Actually it is the first XJ I have seen with the hidden winch and yet to see one upclose. Now I have to determine wethet to build it my self or have it built and the winch I would prefer. Thanks again

The one in MC92s post is made by Dave (35XJ on the boards) and WNC Customs. I've seen another pic of those that had a tube grille guard. IIRC the winch must have a remote-solenoid, and it mounts in from underneath (upside down) The sheetmental factory front crossmember is removed - or modified.

The factory-option model retained the OEM tinfoil bumper. IIRC it retained the crossmember(?) and stood the bumper away from the front to add room.

Last edited:
I got mine from Dave (35XJ) and it was an early prototype model so I added and additional D-Ring shackle mount to mine and notched the top of the bumper out to accomdate the transmission cooler lines. Dave is in Asheville NC and he would be glad to help if anyone's interested in this type of bumper.

Wow, thanks everybody! HAven't really done much with the bumpers lately. Too much time spent building the buggy's I guess. :) Been working on a rear for a while now, finally starting to get it figured out. 1st prototype is underway. AS far as the front bumper: :lecture: It uses plates which bolt onto the side of the frame rails, including the steering box bolts, and the passenger side uses the large frame hole often used for steering box braces. They are designed to have most of the metal under the rad remove to allow the fitting of a non-integrated winch. (m8000 etc) As far as structure, the bumper with its frame rail brackets morre than make up for it. In my opinion. The bumper system has been thorougly tested on our comp jeep, with no problems. Hope this helps answer any questions you guy's have. Let me know If I can be of any further help. Gotta get back on the rear bumper now.. You guy's may like it. dave

I got one of these bumpers from Dave a year, or so ago.
Dave's great to deal with, and puts out awesome high quality stuff.

I also have one of dave's (35xj) bumpers and I love it. It fits a winch and only sticks out as far as the stock bumper, giving me an awesome approach angle. He is great to deal with and highly reccommend it.
F-AOGTFq0auGro7kDcU6fmw

We get a lot of good feedback from our customers with that bumper. We ran one on our NEUROC XJ last year and it help up great. The added approach angle helped him a bunch.

You can see more pics of the bumper and XJ in action on our website:
http://www.wnccustomjeeps.com/pages/whatwedo/comp_rigs.htm

Let us know if we can help ya out in any way at all...

Later,
Jody

For those of you with the WNC bumper, where did you mount the solenoid pack? Also, does the winch mount completely upside down so the lever to engage is on the bottom?

You can rotate the clutch on the winch so the lever is at the bottom. The feet on the winch face the front of the bumper. I mounted the solenoid under the hood so that it is out of the elements and not easily damaged. I then extended the wires to where the controller plugs and in and put that plug in my grill.

Back