• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How can i tell if my TPS is going bad???

witty

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there, i am thinking of replacing my TPS in my 91 cherokee but before i spend 80$ i would like to know if its really nessesary. I think it is going out because of the not wanting to downshift out of OD unless i almost floor it, is there any other symtoms that could tell me my TPS is going out?? thanks...............Witty

witty said:
.. not wanting to downshift out of OD unless i almost floor it,tty
Have you adjusted your TVS cable? (good firs step for not down shifting)

witty said:
Hi there, i am thinking of replacing my TPS in my 91 cherokee but before i spend 80$ i would like to know if its really nessesary ... ...is there any other symtoms that could tell me my TPS is going out?? thanks...............Witty

Look at the output of the sensor - the output voltage should change smoothly as you operate the throttle...

Isn't there vacumn hoses on a automatic that help it know when to shift? I'd be checking those for leaks.

aw-4's do not have vaccuum.......

the number 1 cause of most tranny problems is the tps sensor, hands down.

a majority of the folks with xj's over 80,000 miles have had to replace this sensor, sometimes way sooner.

tv linkage adjustment is always a good bet, and its so easy to adjust, there's no point in NOT trying to see if that's it.

there is a procedure in the fsm to check the sensor, sorry I don'tr have mine in front of me at the moment.

Hello, thanks for the replies, how do i know when the TVC cable is correctly adjusted??, i adjusted mine, now my tranny shifts real hard not smooth like before, and it still wont downshift from OD unless i almost floor it............thanks.....witty

it really does sound like a tps problem......

I wish I could tell you how to be SURE, but I cannot.....

did you follow a service manual of some kind for the tv linkage adjustment?

HI all
this is my first post here on this board. A friend told me about it as I am looking for a solution to a shifting problem on my 89 limited Which I recently purchased. I have looked at previous posts and check several things including the tps and the tvs cable. The TPS seems to be working OK all though it was off a little and we did adjust it as well as adjusting the TVS cable .
The transmission still will only shift if you tack out the motor around 5 grand or so. It's good and solid no slippage or noise.
Any one have any ideas???
PS: Forgot to mention~ I DID INDEED POWER WASH THE MOTOR (was fine before that) :shiver: :bawl: :confused: :tear:

Last edited:
Back