• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mag Lite Mount

UNCC_99XJ

Twisted Up
NAXJA Member
Where would be the best place to mount a mag lite in a 99? I'm lookin to do it this weekend, but can't do it on the bottom of the seat like I did in the other jeep, due to it being all plastic on the XJ. My next spot is in the way back, on the right side of the car (that indention in the plastic below the side window). But I would like to have it up front with me.

What are some of yall's favorite places?

I put mine on the passenger side rear of the cargo compartment up by the window. I just screwed the mounts in using sheetmetal screws and it has held fine for over 2 years. (6 cell mag)

mine is a rechargable maglite and its mounted on my side of the console, then again its a 91 but i dunno if theres too much of a difference...

get a rechargable when you get a chance, they are 10x brighter and last 5x longer on a charge

Mine's dropped in right next to the driver's seat in that well near the door. I once had a quick-release bracket that was going to be mounted against the kick panel but have since lost that and the light simply remains in place where it's easily accessible for use as a:
- starter basher (solenoid un-sticking tool)
- handy spotlight
- roadside assistance
- 18" long chunk of heavy aluminum in the event I need 'persuasive assistance'

Yucca-Man said:
Mine's dropped in right next to the driver's seat in that well near the door. I once had a quick-release bracket that was going to be mounted against the kick panel but have since lost that and the light simply remains in place where it's easily accessible for use as a:
- handy spotlight
- roadside assistance

Yup, been there since day one....

I put mine under the driver seat between the seat bracket and the transmission hump. Has been roll tested and didn't move a bit.

My Mag Light holders are on the right side (Passenger side) on the vertical part of panel not the angle part as close to the hatch without it being hit by door...Been on ther 2 years...Still going strong...I used screws used on pannels on toyota's they have angle grove cut in threads to hold in plastic better than normal threads...they never come lose...when going to salvage yards fill your pockets with every nut bolts and screws you can find...Lots of people taking parts off vehicles leave the nuts, bolts and screws...so there lying around for the picking...Cheaper than going to harware stores and most are panted, galanized and gold zink coated for rust prevention...

John4wd...

Thanks for the responses. Looks like the popular places are back in the passenger side of the rear (where i'm thinking baout placing mine), and on the side of the center console. By the console, do yall mean right next to the shifter, on the part that goes up and down? I've seen somebody do that before on a truck, but I can't remember if it was a Jeep or not, and it doesn't look like the plastic would be strone enough to hold it for a while.

Why just one? <LOL> :D
* 6-cell in the well between door and driver's seat.
* 3-cell in the "way back", with Mag Lite's clips mounted on the D pillar, left side.
* Mini Mags in the glovebox and center console
So far, haven't needed anything else, except maybe one permanently under the hood... :p

Don't put it on the right side of the console...You will need to mount a CB either now or future...Most off-roaders have CB's to keep in contact with each other...and the best place to mount them is on the right side of console...Oh believe me the plastic is strong enough I got a huge RCI 2950 10 &11 meter CB radio on the right side of console and it hardly vibrates...The antenna coax runs behind the molding on the right side that holds up the headliner...So it's hidden...There is a heat tube that runs inside the console...but don't worry about screwing into it won't hurt a thing...Good luck...

John4wd...

On my '98, it (3 cell) is between the passenger seat and center console (kind of on top of the trans. hump), hasn't moved, and is easy to get to. My CB is mounted INSIDE the console. Console was just a junk collector before, now it atleast has some purpose.

Nothing needed for my mount-just put it between the drivers seat and the console and call it done.

Mounted mine, with 2 of the available "U" clips, between the driver's seat and the door. Clips are screwed into the plastic that runs there. Check for wiring under/behind anything first!
Easy to get to, does not move, out of the way in a wasted space area.

PAXJ said:
Nothing needed for my mount-just put it between the drivers seat and the console and call it done.

I put mine between the passengers seat and the hump, down low near the floor. No Mag Light mounts, just stuffed it in there, it´s mostly below the seat adjusters in mine (electric), it has never interfered with the seat adjustments.
I did epoxy a couple of rings of Velcro to the flashlight, so it holds the carpet a bit, so it doesn´t slide to the rear (which happend a few times).
Haven´t found any metal brakets (mounts), the plastic Mag Lite mounts, didn´t seem to last very long.

XJ4PLAY said:
Mounted mine, with 2 of the available "U" clips, between the driver's seat and the door. Clips are screwed into the plastic that runs there. Check for wiring under/behind anything first!
Easy to get to, does not move, out of the way in a wasted space area.

That idea actually popped into my head this morning, and that where i'd like to put it. But I'm afraid of kicking it all the time with my big feet...LOL.

To bad the bottom of the drivers seat is plastic.....thats the best place to put one, IMO.

If at all possible I would like to keep it up front with me somewhere, that way if something happens, I don't have to run to the way back to get it. I can just yank it out of the brackets while i'm getting out.

As for a CB, I don't see any hardcore wheelin in my future....atleast not till it's paid off and i've got a decent ammount saved back up in the bank. And that ain't gonna happen for a long long long long long long LONG time....LOL

Yucca-Man said:
- handy spotlight
- roadside assistance
There, and between the seat and the console seams to work too. pick your side. I prefered the passenger side myself. Got a rechargable deer spotter in the back wedged between the spare, and the hatch now, keep the mag in the house.

I was thinking of doing something like this, and screwing it in to the panel covering the seatbelt. The light could mount vertically between the B-pillar and the driver's seat... I think. I would like to hear from anyone who may have tried this before.

1jlxg8

Thats where i put mine - i dont ever sit there anyway... not in my way

Back