• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do you guys like body-colored or black bumpers?

Do you guys like body-colored or black bumpers?

• Body-colored

Votes: 78 24.9%
  • Black

Votes: 207 66.1%
  • Other

Votes: 28 8.9%

• Total voters

nosajwp

NAXJA Forum User
I currently have body-colored bumpers on my '01, but the paint on them has definately seen better days. I want to either repaint them the original color, or just paint them with some textured bumper paint. What do you guys like?

Color depends on if they match rustoleum colors or not :laugh3:

Doesn't matter for me cuz black and body color are the same on mine...:D

Where I live (Phoenix), all the black bumper pieces turn a weird gray, due to attack by ultraviolet portions of the sunlight.

For this reason alone, I like the painted ones (like my white 2000 has.)

AZ Jeff said:
Where I live (Phoenix), all the black bumper pieces turn a weird gray, due to attack by ultraviolet portions of the sunlight.

For this reason alone, I like the painted ones (like my white 2000 has.)

Downside of that is that I have peeled my flares off on trees a time or two. Painted ones would be a problem...

Frankly, I don't care as long as it's not chrome - there's too much chrome on my truck... Gotta do something about that someday.

However, if I'm building something, I'll just put about 8 coats of a good flat black on it so if it gets scratched, dinged, or whatever, I can just "spray-bomb" it again. Makes my life a little easier.

5-90

Black

Oh wait my Jeeps black too

Bumper color = lower half of the Jeep body color = black anyway...

Otherwise I am not too keen on it, but as long as they work I really don't care what color they are

Black for me, but the down side is they fade very bad. I guess the painted ones do too?

depends on the look you prefer.... painted is nicer but not as durable, obviously. black looks more "offroad rugged," but can still look nice in a different way. my aftermarket bumpers, rock rails, and steel tailights are all black, but my XJ is chili pepper red. i like the black rugged look personally, its not like an XJ it a true bling bling ride.

brandon

I think the question should really be, "what color do you" (as the owner) like. Why would you care what others like? If you are modifying your vehicle, you have already made the choice to deviate from the rest of the herd. I've always thought the goal of modifying a vehicle was to personalize the vehicle to the owner’s tastes.

With the above said, I believe it depends largely on what "image" and/or functionality you want to project. Painted bumpers tend to lend a look of detail and sophistication. Black, tends to project form and function.

My after market bumpers are flat back, however, I’ve seen some great rigs with matching painted bumpers. All boils down to what you like.

Kent :flipoff:

Yea, I've seen a bumper or two around here that was done with contact paper from the kitchen section. Some interesting patterns, have to get a picture of the one done in plaid.....

I have a white sport. With the black bumpers and fender flares. I think its "sharp" looking. As for the flares fading, I know what you are talking about. No amount of armor all cures it. SO...........I simply took my propane BernzOmatic to them. Turn up a medium flame and lightly and somewhat quickly go over them. Its a totally amazing process. They came back to pure black with no melting of the texture or anything. IT WORKS GREAT!

I prefer the body colored trim. I think the unfinished trim looks like cheep plastic. It's not just on xj's, first generation zj's had that stuf on it to. I just dont like it. Altough I did see a zj the other day that had very good care, and it's plastic looked good. My end caps are not painted though, but they are body colored, and I pulled my flairs off last June [in good shape, patrait blue if anyone wants then pm me].

Black. They look so all-business. I guess it's the Maine climate, but my black trim is coal-black after 8 1/2 years and I know painted bumpers would be a mess by now.

I'm constantly amazed at how many shiny, handsome, rust-free, older (pre-96 is all I can tell for sure because of the triple-color tail lights) XJs I zipping around (passing everything, needless to say). They are the trimmest, tidiest-looking cars ever designed, and the black trim accents their beautiful lines.

Back