• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need lift installer in North Jersey area

Cris_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I just order a 3" lift from Rough Country it comes with :front springs, rear add a leaf, lift blocks, U bolts ,shocks and boots.Plus a steering stabilizer.It's going to be install on a 1996 Cherokee XJ.
I need someone that will be willing to take the stock crap and install this lift ,I can help to make your job easier ,keep in mine that one of the reasons I order a Rough Country lift is for the price ,so don't kill me with the quote.
Im in Bergen county north jersey willing to travel about 1 hour in any direction to get the job done RIGHT!!
Send a PM with the best price you can give me.
Thanks

Why don't you do the lift yourself? If you plan to take this thing offroad at all, wouldn't you like to know how to fix it? Believe me I know time constaints suck, but doing the work yourself will only benefit you in the future.

90KrawlerXJ said:
Why don't you do the lift yourself? If you plan to take this thing offroad at all, wouldn't you like to know how to fix it? Believe me I know time constaints suck, but doing the work yourself will only benefit you in the future.

Yes you are right ...but 2 problems that I have : 1 Dont have that many tools this is my first project of anything mechanical related and 2 Dont really have any body that can give me a hand .

ok4wd will charge probably 400-600 $ and it takes them about half a day. For that amount of money i would just do it yourself. You cant rent all the specialized tools like strut compressors(you dont really need them but it makes life easy) and ask a friend for some ratchets a breaker bar and thats about all you need. Start on saturday and it should only take 8-10 hours taking your time. But if something breaks you always have sunday to put some extra time in or run down to the spring shop or homedepot. Do it yourself save the money and learn more about the jeep.

im in central jersey and i could help you out with some pointers. I have a lot to do to my jeep this coming weekend but after that i should be free if you have a place to work on it thats not freezing cold.

Joe Azevedo, who posts here as RockReadyXJ. He's a mechanical whiz, and always helps people who break things at NAC Fest. You can find him posting in the North Atlantic Chapter forum. I think we should support the shops who support us, so give him a call.

[email protected]

I did this lift my self in about a day. all that is really needed is some jack stands, a jack, a bottle jack, a socket set, some misc wrenches. all available at harbor freight if your on a budget. Instead of getting a spring compressor, I just dropped the upper control arms off the axle and removed the sway bar connections. support the truck on jack stands, with the jack under the axle drop it, remove the retaining clips that hold the front springs in place, replace with the new springs, jack it back up and put the bolts back in the control arms, and reconnect the sway bar. the rear if you have the 8.25 axle, you will need new u bolts, cause the ones from the kit are for a dana 35. make sure u have these first..... take the rear tires off, support the truck on jack stands and remove the ubolts one side at a time. I had to drill out the spacer a bit cause the spring set pin head did not fit in the hole on this plate, go figure. depending on if you got the long AAL or the short, use clamps to hold the spring packs together and remove the spring pin, add in the leaf and put the new longer pin back in, tighten it a bit, place the spacer in and jack up the axle and line it all up, tighten up the u bolts. repeat for the other side. took about 5 hours for the complete job. Save yourself some money and do it yourself, its not a hard job to do. The instructions that came with the kit were more confusing than the actual job. Good luck how ever you decide to go. I think I'm a bit out of you travel range otherwise I would help ya out with it, unless you wanna come to Syracuse to get it done..... its a little cold and white up here...

i was in bergen for the summer, but now i'm back down in nc. i might be up in a few weeks if you still havent got anyone by then. go ahead and start spraying down all the bolts with 'PB blaster', a penetrating lubricant. since you're in jersey theres probably a fair amount of rust on all of it. make sure to get the shock bolts on the top of the rears and bottom of the fronts. also get the leaf spring u bolt nuts thoroughly.

im from bergen county....if u decide to try the install yourself....i can lend a hand...much better to try and do as much work yourself, so you can learn whats goin on with your rig..ive got the tools also...

Bmxpunk1369 said:
ok4wd will charge probably 400-600 $ and it takes them about half a day. For that amount of money i would just do it yourself. You cant rent all the specialized tools like strut compressors(you dont really need them but it makes life easy) and ask a friend for some ratchets a breaker bar and thats about all you need. Start on saturday and it should only take 8-10 hours taking your time. But if something breaks you always have sunday to put some extra time in or run down to the spring shop or homedepot. Do it yourself save the money and learn more about the jeep.

Just think, you could buy yourself a very nice craftsman socket set, breaker bar, torque wrench, full set of jack stands and jack, 5 cases of beer and have $100 left for miscellaneous expenses as you are doing the install. Not only will you learn a lot but you'll have all the tools to fix problems that undoubtedly will come up in the future instead of paying more to take it in.

Just my .02

Bmxpunk1369 said:
ok4wd will charge probably 400-600 $ and it takes them about half a day. For that amount of money i would just do it yourself.

That's why I ask for some local guy not a shop to give me a hand ...I will never pay $400-$600 for this job ,like someone else said I can buy me all the tools with the cash .

Thanks to everybody that help with my question so far

im in bergern county - washington township/paramus. I can help you out if you really need it. You may be able to do it here if things work out-i have a full set of tools, air compressor, welder if need be (haha) - I am short on spare time though. I did my 2" BB here which consists of about the same stuff so its not going to be tough at all. PM me if you are interested.

Back