• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chance of it having a 44

XJawgi

NAXJA Forum User
I used to have a 1990 cherokee limited. Thing was loaded including leather interior and a sunroof. I sold it about 2 years ago, and it just popped in my head that i mighta had a dana 44. It has the trailor tow package and a posi. What are the chances it having the 44. I ask this because i might be able to buy it back because the guy doesnt want to find out why it doesnt run. Any thoughts or is it just a long shot.

Slim to none. They were fairly rare in the most common model year, and were supposedly only in 87-89 although I have yet to find anyone who has reliably found an original D44 in an 88 or 89.

I wanna say that they stopped the 44 in 89, I could be wrong though.

I'm not sure where your located, but check out www.car-parts.com you can find some amazing deals on parts there. I just ran a list of 44's, and they start at $175.

Todd

NHxj4x4 said:
I'm not sure where your located, but check out www.car-parts.com you can find some amazing deals on parts there. I just ran a list of 44's, and they start at $175.
Be careful with what you find in www.car-part.com

Awhile ago one of the guys in the North Atlantic Chapter called me up, all excited because he found a yard in upstate NY that had TWO Dana 44s from XJs. I was looking for one at the time so I said I'd take one and he would take the other. He called back to tell the place we were coming and to go ahead and pull them. We hooked up my trailer and set out from southern CT to upstate NY.

We arrived at the yard. First, they would not allow us to look at the axles until we had paid. Okay. We pay, then they allowed us to pull the trailer through the gate to the loading dock. Where we found ... two Dana 35 axles. Uh, oh. Back inside, see the guy at the counter that Erich had spoken to.

"The computer says they're Dana 44s."

"Well, they're Dana 35s."

"Uh, yeah?"

"So, do you have the Dana 44s we bought, or do you give us back our money and we just wasted a trip up here?"

"Uh, lemme talk to the boss."

From the loading dock we could see at least half a dozen XJs. They wouldn't let us walk over to see if any of those had Dana 44s. And they refused to look. They said they had already wasted time removing axles that we now didn't want to buy, so they weren't going to waste any more time with us. We did finally get our money back, but it was a very frustrating experience.

If you find a "Dana 44" on Car-Part, check, double-check and triple-check to verify that it really is before you take the plunge.

Man I would have been pissed, that's a long ass drive. I've had very good luck there. I got my 8.8 with 4.10's and LSD for $200, they even loaded it into my ZJ for me with a fork lift. I've had a few things shipped from there as well, most recently a 2002 Intake mani with injectors, TB, rail for $100 shipped. I guess it all depends on the yards and the people that em.

Todd

Yucca-Man said:
Slim to none. They were fairly rare in the most common model year, and were supposedly only in 87-89 although I have yet to find anyone who has reliably found an original D44 in an 88 or 89.

1987 XJ wagoneer package, or so the door panels say, no power, all vinal (sp)
1107399615_dscf0343.jpg

1988 XJ, unknown model, no power, cloth interior
1107399710_picture_011.jpg

1988 XJ Pioneer, no power anything, cloth seats, all original.
1107399813_dscf0384.jpg

Im not going to say that there not hard to find, but junkyards are a hard way to look. Ive had really good luck lately looking in dollar adas at the POS 3-400$ rigs that need a tow. If I go look at 10 rigs, usually 1 will have a 44 and some other parts I may/may not need or something a friend needs. Its well worth my time and effort. Like the 88 Pioneer, baught it for 800$, sold the 4.0 drivetrain for 600$, well I got the whole truck worth of parts and a 44 for 200$. Not a bad deal in my book.

Well, if anyone is in the Toronto area, there's D44 on an '89 Limited, [according to what the pics from the link says] It's a U-pull, but probably won't be there for much longer, as it's most likely the next row to get crushed unfortunately.

Back