• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ suspension question

csr_011

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, What will ride better, replace the coils and leaf packs with new OEM equipment and good shocks and 235/75/15" all terrain. OR, A rusty's 3 inch spring pack kit with good shocks and 31 x 10.50's all terrains?

This will be on an 87 XJ 4x4, 4 door, automatic, with 4.0L.

I just want the best ride i can get, the offroading i do doesnt really need too aggressive of suspension.

Thanks!

Cory

They both have benfits, I like the 3" better, that being said the 3" kit does make you stiffer, and a better driving expirence I think. I tightens the jeep up, Of course with a 3" kit you raise your center of gravity some more. You'll feel bumps some more, but all in all I like the way a 3" kit feels better than I like the stock feel. You have to break the kit in and let things settle a bit, so for the first few weeks it will be stiffer than you may like. I was driving around in my buddies 2001 that was stock, then the same day drove around with my other buddy in a 99 with 3", and liked the way that it felt better.

Just my $.02

Todd

The stock configuration with 235s will ride better. The control arm angle gets steeper when you lift, and larger tires create more unsprung weight, which tends to throw the suspension around more.

Are there any alternatives to oem repalacement that will keep the XJ relatively stock in ride height, but better in performance?

You can tighten it up, add larger sway bars, better shocks, or simply change some of your suspension bushings (this will tighten everything up). Poly bushing are pretty popular for this, and do aid in handling, Quadratec and 4wd.com carry a lot of this. Shocks will help quite a bit too, you do get what you pay for and a nice set of Bilsteins or OME will feel nicer than Monroe's from Autozone.

It sounds like your looking to get rid of some of the harsness that the XJ has by nature, and although you'll never make it feel like a Caddy, those few things would help. If you did the above, with a BB lift, that might be a good combo for you, and you could run 30's or 31's with trimming.

Todd

Urethane bushings are harder than stock rubber bushings and will improve handling, but they will NOT improve ride quality. They'll make it worse.

The stock rubber bushings get hard after a number of years of service, and replacing with new stock bushings is a way to improve ride quality on an older vehicle. But to replace the bushings (with either rubber or urethane) you need to remove the rear springs, and that can present problems if the bolts are rusted into the steel sleeves in the bushings. It's a personal choice, but my choice would be to avoid dealing with that and leave the spings in place. Invest in a set of good shock absorbers and leave it at that.

FWIW I have been riding on Monroes for years and I find the ride very acceptable. I think the Monroe Reflex and Sensatrac shocks, which came out after I bought mine, are even smoother, especially the Sensatracs.

I have an 01 xj drove it for about 6 months stock (21,000 miles on it) added a 3" and 31's love the ride and the feel much better with the 3" its my DD and hunting and camping rig.

I have rancho RS-9000's, OME coils cut down to 1" of lift, and poly bushings. Handles like a camaro, but it rides pretty stiff. Poly bushings on the sway bar make an incredible improvement in handling, but also much stiffer. I got mine from Suspension.com. Energy bushings are excellent. Hard to install, though.

For the best and most comfortable ride, the OME suspension kit, rides like a dream. That statement is true for the XJ, ZJ and TJ. I've ridden in all three and they ride better than the wifes cushy oldsmobile... Figure about $700 plus a day to do the install in your driveway.

In your previous posts, you said this rig has 260K on it, suspension is shaky and rough, you want to tow with it, and you are saving $1,000 for the suspension. First, replace any bushings/ front end components that are worn out - whether you lift or not. If you are determined to spend $1,000 on suspension improvements go Old Man Emu all the way. Otherwise, just put on good shocks and maybe replace those tired front coils with low-mileage used OEM ones off of the forums (cheap and easy compared to rear leafs).

2nd, You've got 260K on that old 4.0. Slapping on bigger tires will make it more of a dog when towing and cause a lot more stress on the engine /tranny / brakes and the whole rig in general.

91 Cherokee 185K 3" lift/OME springs DT shocks on 31's - camping rig
87 Cherokee 130K no lift/recent shocks - mall runner for daughter
91 Cherokee 235K no lift/trashed shocks - bought for parts but won't die

I have the rustys 3 inch lift with the full leafs packs, and some quality shocks....I've had it on my 97 now for almost a year, and in my opinion it rides alot better then stock, i mean it might not ride like a caddy, but hey its a jeep, i'd so go with the 3 inch rustys with some 31's you'll like it!

dave

Back