• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Calico Feb. 12th

wolfheartak

NAXJA Member #715
I'm still planning on heading up to Calico on Feb 12th, Meeting at 8 at the Peggy Sues and heading out at 8:30. Any Takers?

-Marisha

Marisha, wish we could go but I am still working on my XJ and we have an Anza run for the following weekend so we won't be able to make this one.
Have a great time out there!

Hey Marisha,

Are you guys heading out from OC and going for the day or what? What trail types are you running?

I really need/want to go wheelin. I am tryign to find people that are wheelin on the 12th. I had to pass on this weekend.

Thanks,

Robert

I'll go.

Did you have the up Doran / down Odessa thing in mind? Or something else?

--ron

Captain Ron said:
I'll go.

Did you have the up Doran / down Odessa thing in mind? Or something else?

--ron

More or less, I've only done it up odessa and down duran. But, We'll do whatever fits our fancy...

-Marisha

rpraterxj said:
Hey Marisha,

Are you guys heading out from OC and going for the day or what? What trail types are you running?

I really need/want to go wheelin. I am tryign to find people that are wheelin on the 12th. I had to pass on this weekend.

Thanks,

Robert

We're just going for the day, but by all means, stay and camp for the weekend. The trails are decent, I did them stock height w/ armor and a rear locker. Granted I drug my way through a good portion of the trail, but I still made it. They're tough enough you'll get you wheeling fix for the weekend, but not so terible that you're afraid of breaking every step of the way.

-Marisha

wolfheartak said:
We're just going for the day, but by all means, stay and camp for the weekend. -Marisha

Ok, I am going to try to go on this run. What time are you guys leaving Costa Mesa? I can just meet you at your home and then follow you out. What time do you antcipate returning?

Thanks,

Robert

We'll go up Saturday morning, about 5am and head back to hopefully be home early evening, about 6 or 7. (but we all know how that goes...)

-Marisha

How far of a drive is this from Escondido (near charles). I just had my plans for going to superstition with some family cancelled. They say the rain storm coming made everyone back out.

Ive never done calico and might bring up my small rv and flat tow the xj there.

Is there somewhere to camp so I can just stay the night saturday?
Is there somewhere to keep the RV all day until we get back from wheeling?
Feel free to call me or just post here Ill check it tonight.
6198462771 cell phone
Kevin Hedstrom
KH

Kevin3151 said:
How far of a drive is this from Escondido (near charles). I just had my plans for going to superstition with some family cancelled.
It's a bit of a haul, but not that bad. Calico is about 15 mins past Barstow, off the 15, Yermo, Calico Ghost Town Rd exit.
Kevin3151 said:
They say the rain storm coming made everyone back out.
Wx:
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/?dgtl=1&wfo=vef&zone=caz028&county=CAC071&mapzone=caz028&map.x=73&map.y=121

http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/fax/evpn99.jpg

http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/fax/PYEB86.TIF

Looks good for the weekend there, I think Calico is better after a little rain.
Kevin3151 said:
Ive never done calico and might bring up my small rv and flat tow the xj there.

Is there somewhere to camp so I can just stay the night saturday?

The campground at Calico Ghost Town is great, lots of room, showers, etc...
Kevin3151 said:
Is there somewhere to keep the RV all day until we get back from wheeling?
At the campground, or by the trailhead if you do not camp. Lots of options for this kind of thing there.

--ron

I should make it, if my back is feeling better by Saturday. I don't know what did it this past weekend, but man am I sore.

Kevin3151 said:
I would need directions etc.
KH

However it's quickest to get to the 15 north, then drive for a while, then exit yermo rd and we're meeting at the Peggy Sues 50's Diner. If you'd like to meet us along the way we can carvan if you are going to go.

We take the 55N to the 91E to the 15N out of Orange County.

-Marisha

Im contemplating leaving friday from san diego about 4pm and heading straight there to camp, either that or just leave at 0darkthirty on saturday in order to park the rv at the campground and meet up at 0800. I have a brand new tech license and a 2m radio in the jeep. Anyone else going have one? What repeater works there? Do cell phones work out there?
KH

Kevin3151 said:
Im contemplating leaving friday from san diego about 4pm and heading straight there to camp, either that or just leave at 0darkthirty on saturday in order to park the rv at the campground and meet up at 0800. I have a brand new tech license and a 2m radio in the jeep. Anyone else going have one? What repeater works there? Do cell phones work out there?
KH

Cell Phones in certain areas of the trails, spotty at the campground. Me: 805.312.5579

2M:

First, Barstow 146.970, neg offset, no pl
Second, Victorville, 147.705, neg offset, pl 136.5

Simplex 146.500

If you want to sked in the morning, while I'm still driving, listen to Barstow, if you can "hit" it, if not, listen Simplex. I should start being able to hit Barstow around 6:00 AM.

Breakfast at Peggy's...

--ron

Whoops...

Me: K0IOA
You: KG6YFU?

... Yankee Foxtrot Uniform?????

That's gonna be some fun.

--ron

Im going, I plan on leaving escondido about 4pm on friday and going straight to the campground. they said I could just take a spot any time of night. If we eat breakfast at peggy sues, is that at 0800 or before? It will be me and my two boys on the trip.
I will set my radio in the jeep, I also have an HT I can play with. Thanks Ron, Ill see you there Marisha and whoever else is going.
KH
red xj

Kevin3151 said:
If we eat breakfast at peggy sues, is that at 0800 or before? It will be me and my two boys on the trip.

I may go out tonight, looks like the temps will be ok tonight. If not, I'll be shootin for a 7:00AM arrival at Peggy's...

Black XJ

--ron

ok, great. Im leaving here in a few hours.. Ill be in the actual calico campground because I dont know anywhere else. Ill listen on the barstow repeater you listed as well as simplex tonight.
KH
Kevin H.
KG6YFO

Also Ryan called me so I know about that as well.
KH

Back