• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running Full Width F250 Axles on XJ?

DaveHillier

NAXJA Forum User
I have a Dana HP44 Front and a Dana 60 rear from a 1977-79 F250. I'm planning on putting them under my XJ this spring. I don't wanna have to norrow the axles though. Can I get rims to make my rig only 2 or 3 inchs wider with the big 8 bolt hubs? I may not use these rear ends if I need to norrow them. Also is there anything else I should know about other good axles that I wouldn't have to norrow? Thanks for the help!

1989 XJ 6 1/2" Rusty's Short Arm Kit, 33x12.50x15 Mud Brutes, aw4, np231, RE SYE, Skyjacker drop pitman arm

Waggy 44s are the same width,
Good luck finding the rims you want,
They are out there but hard to find.

Those axles are a bit overkill, just my opinion.

if ya really want to keep it as narrow as possible do a search here and Pirate for hummer rims...

oh yeah... you're gonna have fun with tire combos/brake calipers/clearance/etc.

been done... Alot

you gotta have decent fab skills or a good chunk of change (or friends with both)

i think thats the same setup as the XJ on the fullsize xj gear site not sure but that guy could probly give you some advice.

i think the site is www.fullsizexjgear.com

good luck with that..

nope my bad its on d-60s front & rear

P2020018.jpg

Last edited:
Well I'm not completely set on putting a 60 in the rear. I just have two of these axle right now. I'm getting Bushwacker cutouts soon but that wouldn't make up the different. I want to stay with 15" rims right now. I know there there is a 1977 f100 front axle and a ford 9" rear out of the same truck. Would they be a better swap for me?

there is no reason to narrow that axle if you are also in the market for new rims.

Look for 17" rims with a numerically large backspace....

I run 5" backspace, which gives me an OUTSIDE trackwidth of around 79"-78" instead of 86 or more like you see on a lot of rigs running fullsize.

35.jpg

So there is not any 15" rim that would tuck in because of the brakes and tierods? I really don't wanna have to spend the big bucks on 17" rims and tires. What about a 78 f1500 hp 44 and ford 9". Could I get rims for them to tuck in to keep close to stock width?

Use a set of stock stupid duty steel wheels, 17 x 8, 5in backspacing. Or hit your local auto trader for someone getting rid of stock 8-lug wheels. You might even make friends with your local America's Tire/ Discount Tire and get some castoff's from him for cheap.

jpnjason said:
Use a set of stock stupid duty steel wheels, 17 x 8, 5in backspacing. Or hit your local auto trader for someone getting rid of stock 8-lug wheels. You might even make friends with your local America's Tire/ Discount Tire and get some castoff's from him for cheap.

Incorrect bolt pattern.

CRASH

Ford Super Duty wheels are 8" on 170mm metric bolt pattern.

They do not fit any other 8 bolt (8 on 6.5") axle.

CRASH

CRASH said:

When you say "Super Duty" does that include late '70s Fords, or is the "Super Duty" line of trucks more current? The reason I'm asking is because I have a '79 F250 Dana 44 front and a '77 Dodge Dana 60 rear. I was under the impression the they were both 8 on 6.5". Am I going to have a problem?

I have read a bit about the HP44 from the F250 breaks passenger side axles alot. Whats up with that? I thought they were a very stong axle in stock form? Is the F150 HP44 and F250 HP44 Fronts the same stength just with different bolt patterns? Thanks for all the help.

CRASH said:

CRASH

Crash, you are truly the king of furd axles, we're not worthy...

FarmerMatt said:
That's if you like using your hubs as curb feelers...

Matt

i dont think that beez has tires small enough to hit the curb...

davidt said:
Crash, you are truly the king of furd axles, we're not worthy...

Davidt you are the king of brown-nosing, you are not worthy...

Back on topic:

If you have the axle's laying around - then pop them in. anything is stronger than a d35...
"pop" is of course an oversimplification...
Personaly i would stay way from the d60 - i have no need to plow my local rockgardens with my diff housing...

If however you are looking to swap any axle and are willing to puchase them - look into these:
Toy 8" (Rear from a tacoma)
Ford 9"
d44 front from a "wide track" waggy - make sure it is driver diff though

If you are set on your alxes buy not sure of going full width -
a *common* mod is to shorten the d44 to waggy axle size and use waggy axles - that has been run though a few times here and on pirate.

just some things to think about
-Ranger

Last edited:
Back