• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauge cluster year interchange? 84-90?

JEEPZZ

NAXJA Forum User
I've had a spare full gauge cluster for my 87 for quite some time. I've recently decided to either install it or sell it. I've noticed in recent pics that I've seen that this cluster may be for the early 84-86 rather than the 87-90.
Are these two clusters interchangeable? I have always believed that they won't interchange but after looking at the two styles, I'm having second thoughts.
Anyone have first hand experience on swapping these early clusters?

I believe the electrical connectors will work, but the speedometer cable connection to the back of the speedo changed at 1987. I have never been able to determine if the change was a mid-year change, or between model years. The older style used a metal fitting on the end of the cable that pressed onto the speedo, then there is a metal retaining clip that attaches to the cluster with one or two (don't recall) screws. The newer style has a speedo cable that terminates in a white nylon press-on connector. It snaps in position, and to remove the cable from the speedo you squeeze a ring on the end of the nylon connector.

You can certainly make the "wrong" one work by buying a new speedo cable from the year that matches the new speedo head.

From what i understand is that from 88 till early 93 was a speedo cable operated and from then on it was all electronic. So if you can get one in the same year range it should be ok.

Pete

My cluster has the metal speedo cable clip. I understand what you mean about the nylon press on style connector; similiar to a fuel line type of setup.

I'll probably just sell my cluster since it's the 84-86 variety. (top)
xj_clusters.jpg

jeepsrock said:
From what i understand is that from 88 till early 93 was a speedo cable operated and from then on it was all electronic. So if you can get one in the same year range it should be ok.

Pete
I think 91 is when they switched to the electronic speedo. (bottom pic)
87-90 is in the middle pic. (It doesn't have the metal speedo clip where as the top one does)

JEEPZZ said:
I think 91 is when they switched to the electronic speedo. (bottom pic)
87-90 is in the middle pic. (It doesn't have the metal speedo clip where as the top one does)
True, my '91 has an electric speedo. Thanks for the pics, I'm wanting to put my '87 xj cluster in the '89 and wasn't clear on the exact time of the change but the one out of the '87 (sitting on top of the toolbox right now) is defineately the one in the middle pic.

Back