• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Shocks Hoops, anyone interested??

tcm glx

NAXJA Member #1033
Ok, so I picked up a rear shock hoop and I am being told a friend of mine can make some jsut like them. Not very complicated. I know Cross Enterprises does not make them, is there any local interest for some?? They would run about $135.

Tony do you have a picture? Where do they mount on the Jeep? T&J Performance had one at the Off Road Expo this past October, I'm curious to see how similar they are.

It is almost identical to the Cross Enterprises one.......i can snap some pics and send them later this week if you like.

Benefits to using one?
Side question relating to this topic. I noticed on the pic of the Cross Enterprises hoop, that the XJ has both shocks mounted on the same side of axle tube? Comments on that? Downsides to mounting that way? Benefits?
The more I read here, the more questions I have.

Here are some benefits:
More travel, more mounting options, stiffens the unibody by tying in the two rails, provides a much sturdier mounting bracket for the upper shock mount, allows use of open eye standard shocks ends, and last but not least forces you to move your shock mounts which most people procrastanate doing.

just a few

jjmat3 said:
Benefits to using one?
Side question relating to this topic. I noticed on the pic of the Cross Enterprises hoop, that the XJ has both shocks mounted on the same side of axle tube? Comments on that? Downsides to mounting that way? Benefits?
The more I read here, the more questions I have.

Benefits? Absolutely none.

Funny thing about leaning the shocks inward is that while it allows a longer shock you no longer need one. More angle on the shock decreases the shock travel for a given wheel travel, so you can get more travel with a shorter shock.......kind of defeats the purpose of using a shock hoop to allow use of a longer shock.

Any benefits to having the shocks leaning more? No, none. By reducing the shock travel relative to suspension travel you are loosing dampening. The straighter up and down the shock can be mounted the better control and dampening the shock will provide. This is even more true when controlling sway, where sway control is gained from the shock (especially the top) being mounted as outward as possible. Those setups where the shocks are leaning inward and the tops are fairly close together can provide little stability or sway control, since the roll axis is close to the upper shock mounts, so there is very little shock travel to resist sway.

Mounting the shocks on opposite sides of the axle helps to resist axle wrap, which XJ's have a particularly bad problem with due to the spring over leave spring placement and relatively flat springs. Mounting both shocks on the same side of the axle won't effect anything if the rig is equipped with a good traction bar, but without a traction bar it will lead to more axle wrap.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just answering a good question. Cross may not be offering shock hoops any more because few wanted them. As far as getting good articulation out of the rear of an XJ, it's not hard to do with an 8-10 inch travel shock. Put a small wire tie around the shock shafts and go twist it up to see how much travel you are really using.

Goatman said:
Benefits? Absolutely none.

Funny thing about leaning the shocks inward is that while it allows a longer shock you no longer need one. More angle on the shock decreases the shock travel for a given wheel travel, so you can get more travel with a shorter shock.......kind of defeats the purpose of using a shock hoop to allow use of a longer shock.

Any benefits to having the shocks leaning more? No, none. By reducing the shock travel relative to suspension travel you are loosing dampening. The straighter up and down the shock can be mounted the better control and dampening the shock will provide. This is even more true when controlling sway, where sway control is gained from the shock (especially the top) being mounted as outward as possible. Those setups where the shocks are leaning inward and the tops are fairly close together can provide little stability or sway control, since the roll axis is close to the upper shock mounts, so there is very little shock travel to resist sway.

Mounting the shocks on opposite sides of the axle helps to resist axle wrap, which XJ's have a particularly bad problem with due to the spring over leave spring placement and relatively flat springs. Mounting both shocks on the same side of the axle won't effect anything if the rig is equipped with a good traction bar, but without a traction bar it will lead to more axle wrap.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just answering a good question. Cross may not be offering shock hoops any more because few wanted them. As far as getting good articulation out of the rear of an XJ, it's not hard to do with an 8-10 inch travel shock. Put a small wire tie around the shock shafts and go twist it up to see how much travel you are really using.

So, should i NOT put you down for one??

One thing that is a big plus with this hoop is that it adds rigidity to your uni-body, by adding essentially a full blown cross memeber, and it also makes for a much stronger mounting point for the rear shocks.

Back