• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Feel of pinging and/or knocking..

Hiaboo

NAXJA Forum User
Well, first things first, I'm deaf. And pretty much the only way I can diagnose my problems is by feel/visuals and that isn't too good. I can get someone to ride with me and tell me if they hear something funny sure, but thats not practical because something may be funny but that may be normal.

The question is; does pinging and knocking have any definate feel, that you can feel through the steering, floorwell (drivers) gas pedal, etc, because I've discovered that you are more aware of the vibrations, etc when you are in the driver's seat vs. the passenger.

So.. info would be nice.. thanks.

As noted, ping is too light to be felt. A SEVERE connecting rod knock might be felt, but piston slap or the early stages of rod knock probably cannot be felt. Certainly not from the driver's seat, although possibly knock could be felt from under the hood with your hand on the engine.

Ah I see I see.. so I'll be sure to have someone who can hear around once in a while ;) now which leads me to another question but will be posted in off topic. Thanks guys.

jldiaz said:
I don't recall; but doesn't the '94 (your public profile) have a knock sensor that retards the spark timing if necessary? If so, don't worry about it.

No, knock sensors disappeared in '91.

Back