• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flat towing question

Wow

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ is currently dead in a k-mart parking lot. I need to tow it home to work on it, really don't want to pay for a tow truck. I can tow it with my pickup, but I don't want to rent a dolly. What do I need to do to flat tow my XJ? Just put the transfer case in neutral? How should I hook it up to my truck? The truck has a hitch, but there are no hooks or hitch on the front of the jeep. What should I hook a tow strap to?

Transfer case in neutral. manual tranny in gear, automatic in park.

As to what to hook it up to for towing, if you don't have tow hooks of a front hitch, I don't feel comfortable suggesting where to hook it up. Do what feels right to you, go slow, and don't give it any sudden yanks.

"Transfer case in neutral. manual tranny in gear, automatic in park."

Will this work?? I have heard a lot of ways.......most included removing the front drive shaft........but not that...........I would be interested in hearing more.

The NP231 is kind of funny. When you put the case in neutral, it connects the front and rear drive shafts together. While this is not a problem in flat towing, I use a tow dolly and your really don't want to do that with a tow dolly. My manual says it is ok to flat tow with the tcase in neutral and the tranny in gear or for the auto, in park. The guys have given you good info.

PaulJ said:
Sig220, just read your owner's manual.

PaulJ, while some others have added to this topic of discussion........you have not.........some including me don't have owner's manuals. We have to glean information from where we can.

Although you didnt meantion someone being in the jeep while you were towing it, I assume U know to have someone.

As for hookup use your judgement, and try to use a springy tow article, like smaller rope looped back and forth a few times, it will lessen the jerks.

Back