• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear end did something funky today

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
I made a right turn at a traffic light and proceded up a VERY steep hill so I shifted into 2nd(5-spd) and gave it some gas to get up the hill a little faster and the speedo spiked over 45(mph)but I was doing 25, the Jeep didn't go sideways, no tire skidding, no marks behind me, it didn't slow down and it didn't stop until I let off the gas...I just thought this was really wierd, I believe it's a Trac-Loc so I dunno if that's normal or not.

Mmmm, well, speed is measured at the transfer case...measures driveshaft revolutions (basically). So, a spike in the speedo would mean the driveshaft was spinning at the indicated speed. Therefore, at least one tire was spinning at the indicated speed.

Were the roads wet? I ask cuz sometimes wet roads are slippery, and sometimes a spinning tire on wet roads isn't so obvious and doesn't leave any marks.

Just my 2-cents....unless speedo pick-up freaked out?

Could use a bit more info, please. What year XJ, and how many miles on the vehicle?

And what makes you "believe" it has a Trac-Lok? In normal driving, one rear wheel should not spin if you have a correctly functioning Trac-Lok. However, if you're near or over the 100,000 mile mark, a factory Trac-Lok may be worn out. In that case, it behaves like an open diff, which would allow one wheel to spin.

Sounds like the clutch didn't engage fully before you reved it. My Tercel 4WD used to do it.

theslacker said:
Sounds like the clutch didn't engage fully before you reved it. My Tercel 4WD used to do it.
That won't spike the speedometer though, only the tach.

More info would be good though, especially concerning th eyear and drivetrain info. My '96 did similar things shortly after I got it because the Vehicle Speed Sensor was bad. That's the pickup at the rear of the t-case that measures rotations and seds an indication of your speed. I could do 50mph in the drivethrough yet 0mph on the freeway. It ain't a comfortable feeling.

Sorry 'bout the lack of info...

It's a 1990 Cherokee Pioneer w/the 4.0 and the 5-spd and 180k, I read in the owners manual that I should have trac-loc if I have Command-Trac(which i have)...The roads weren't wet at all and I know it wasn't the tach cause I don't have one

Thanks for the help

Zoro said:
Sorry 'bout the lack of info...

It's a 1990 Cherokee Pioneer w/the 4.0 and the 5-spd and 180k, I read in the owners manual that I should have trac-loc if I have Command-Trac(which i have)...The roads weren't wet at all and I know it wasn't the tach cause I don't have one

Thanks for the help
Don't know what you think you read in the manual, but the Command-Trac was the base-level transfer case (the NP231). Trac-Lok was an optional limited-slip rear differential, and having a standard equipment Command-Trac transfer case in no way means you do, or might, or "should" have a Trac-Lok. My guess is that you probably don't.

Hello,

Without entering the debate of what diff you may or may not have, I would guess that if you were in the process of turning (or exiting a turn with the body still leaning or swaying) and going up a steep hill, you spun your tire. Look at it this way.

Option 1. Your big motor spun the tires

Option 2. Your diff failed all of a sudden and then seemingly went back to normal

JamesBond

Zoro said:
I made a right turn at a traffic light and proceded up a VERY steep hill so I shifted into 2nd(5-spd) and gave it some gas to get up the hill a little faster and the speedo spiked over 45(mph)but I was doing 25, the Jeep didn't go sideways, no tire skidding, no marks behind me, it didn't slow down and it didn't stop until I let off the gas...I just thought this was really wierd, I believe it's a Trac-Loc so I dunno if that's normal or not.

You spun the tire, dude! Without a Trac-loc, the XJ is quite "casual" about it... no sideways drama... not much noise (depending on tires)... just a quite disconcerting lack of acceleration!

You could have hit some sand, some salt or cinders ("traction material" from recent snows!)... or just coulda hit the gas too hard.

Den

it happens all the time w/open (read "no limited slip") differentials. Both mine and the ol' ladies do it.

Back