• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Injector O-Rings! Long one please read.

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Starting to smell a gas smell on these colder mornings so I decided to pop the hood. Figured out that ONE of my O-Rings is leaking VERY slightly. I'm going to have to drive it for the rest of the week and this weekend replace the set of O-Rings. Im thinking about going with these from MAKO.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7951100282&category=33553&sspagename=WDVW

Has anyone used them before? I assume quality doesnt really come into play but I dont know. Also it says it includes all of them but does that set look like it includes for the regulator also? If I would end up having to get them from the dealer does anyone know approx. how much they run? Last thing is I've heard I have to replace the "ear clips" or something on the connectors to the rails? Is this true?

Thanks,
Collin

Ok well when I went there they said 11 bucks an injector for a total of 66 bucks. Thanks. I didnt think that could be right.

For some reason dealership sells the o-rings separately for newer engines. Order a kit for an '89 and you should get a better price and it will come with all the required o-rings.

kunaji said:
For some reason dealership sells the o-rings separately for newer engines. Order a kit for an '89 and you should get a better price and it will come with all the required o-rings.

Actually now that I think about it at the time I did this there wasn't a kit or an O ring available for my 99 so I did just that and got a kit for like a 87...haven't had any problems with them...

Matt

Could be o-rings but before I'd swap them I'd have a close look at the injectors. A common injector problem is leakage through the body of the injector and not at the o-ring seals. I had this problem. Seems like the gas appeared where the the electrical connector is. Others have posted similar experience.

If it is indeed a leaky injector my advice is to replace all 6 at one time. I've seen this advice posted also. I ignored it and did just one. And then another one and another and they're all done now. But it was a pain doing it one at a time and didn't get me much more life.

There are other posts about where to purchase injectors. There's a substantial range of prices. Also injectors off other vehicle types will work but I can't quote which types. There are other posts about this also.

I'm hoping not to have to replace them because I really dont have that kind of money right now. It did look like it was coming from up higher like maybe around the electrical connection. Does this for sure mean its a bad injector? I also noticed a stain on the heat shield so that must mean gas has been dripping on it. I drive probably 10 miles a day. I need it til saturday when I can fix it. Is is safe to drive with 1 injector leaking? Its really not a constant leak its just every once in a while.

Last edited:
Is is safe to drive with 1 injector leaking?

You're kidding right? Well, if you're not, the answer is no. The injectors are above the intake and "exhaust" manifolds. :hang:
Go ahead and gamble. You may win.
If you can't replace all of them, at least replace the leaking one. You think you can't afford an injector? You may be buying a new rig.

ACE said:
You're kidding right? Well, if you're not, the answer is no. The injectors are above the intake and "exhaust" manifolds. :hang:
Go ahead and gamble. You may win.
If you can't replace all of them, at least replace the leaking one. You think you can't afford an injector? You may be buying a new rig.

Ummm...crap. The problem is I'm not sure if its the injector or O ring and I dont know a good way to test it. I guess I could test the injector by getting the resistance across the terminals. Would that tell me if its bad?

Last edited:
Easy - dry everything off and see what gets wet first.

The RENIX injectors have a history of leaking at the upper body crimp - if you lose one, replace six. Don't play around with this - do a search for "Engine bay fire" and see what you get!

Since the same Ford injectors can be used all the way up for the 4.0, the orings can also be used from RENIX sets all the way up. The odd oring is for the fuel pressure regulator on the RENIX, which is attached to the forward end of the fuel rail.

You will also want to make sure to replace the QD fittings at the fuel rail, so you don't have another potential leak.

One of my "pet projects" is a fuel rail which is a little meatier and will accept -5 or -6AN fittings, which will delete the silly Ford-style QD fitting we all know and hate...

5-90

5-90 said:
... do a search for "Engine bay fire" and see what you get!
5-90

amen to that. Way too many reports of engine fires to be messing around with leaking injectors. Fix it.

by the way, 5-90, my "Ford-style QD fittings" have lasted 250,000 miles. Can't complain about that.

5-90 = -85

I have some used injectors of an '88. PM me your address and I'll send you one or two. They weren't leaking when I started to dismantle the truck. It should get you by.
Tom

Decided I'm going to get 6 new injectors. After 200k its probably time to do them, since I was getting really shatty gas mileage. When I'm changing these units out I need to get the two "ear" things for the connects on each side of the rail. Anything else, because my new injectors come with new orings.

The clips that hold the injectors to the fuel rail,and the wire clips that hold the electrical connectors on the injectors,can be purchased at Auto Zone.
I've heard different procedures for in stalling the injectors,just make sure you ID which electrical connector goes to which injector....

Got em done today. Thanks to everyone who helped me out with this. I cannot believe how much more acceleration I have now, its awesome. I really cant believe just replacing injectors helped so much. No more bucking under acceleration, really smoothed things out.

Back