• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Guage Cluster/Odometer

Wayne Sihler

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Did search and didn,t find answer,But I remember a thread on changing the odometer miles when replacing the guage cluster.
I am switching from idiot light to guages and want to set the miles close to whats there now.
Thanks,
wayne

i did it, but I'm not sure if I did it right. It was on a 96, and I took the cluster all the way apart untill I could barely move the little numbers with my fingers. It was possible to get a little screw driver behind the spinner(my name for the numbers), and I can't remember if there was a little lever to push on or not. I ended up just forcing them into the position that I wanted them, if you slide them over one way and spin at the same time you can *click* them one digit at a time(not one mile, but one digit ie:1's, 10's, 100's..). It sounded like it might be breaking inside, but it worked fine once I put it all back in.

Good luck, hope this helps a little.

P.S.-sorry, but i dont have this jeep anymore so i can't look at it. I upgraded to a 98 sport, so its all electric now.

Just take the original speedo/odo out of the idiot light cluster and swap it into the gauge cluster.

There are only a few screws from the back of the cluster holding the speedo on. That way the odo mile are 100% accurate to the truck. The only thing to be careful of is to be sure the speedo cable hook-ups are the same.

I did this on mine about 2 weeks ago and the speedo/odo swap only took about 2 minutes.

Yes, I guess he could do that. But then he doesnt have a trip odometer. When I did the swap one major plus was getting a trip odometer so I could track gas mileage and road trips a lot easier than memorizing the odometer. If he wants a trip odometer than that might not be the best choice. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks, My only concerne was getting the mileage close.
wayne

Back