• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tcase leak after lift

MattS

NAXJA Forum User
I just put on a 3" lift w/31's! I have a slight leak from my t/c around the seal on the case where the rear axle goes. I looked in my fsm and am going to check to make sure that the vent is clear, then I thought I might put some silicon sealant around where the leak is. Could the pressure from the axle be pulling the case apart? Is clear silicone ok to use?
Thanks,

MattS said:
I just put on a 3" lift w/31's! I have a slight leak from my t/c around the seal on the case where the rear axle goes. I looked in my fsm and am going to check to make sure that the vent is clear, then I thought I might put some silicon sealant around where the leak is. Could the pressure from the axle be pulling the case apart? Is clear silicone ok to use?
Thanks,

your description is still a bit foggy... i assume you are talking about the rear DRIVESHAFT not the rear axle... where it goes into the t/case... silicon isnt a way to fix any kind f oil leak,, it wont adhere to the surface at all.. i'm thinking that when you removed/reinstalled the rear driveshaft during the lift maybe the lip-seal was damaged or maybe with the additional height, which essentially moves the d/shaft away from the t/case, the seal is now wearing on a new surface and it doesnt like it... replacing the seal is a pretty easy fix....

It is called a rear output seal. Go to your parts store and get another. They are very common to fail. Especially when you lift your XJ. Carefull when you put the new one in. They don't always go in straight. You could try some grease around the lip to help work it in.

Later, Adam

yeah, it is where the driveshaft connects to the tcase, don't know why I said axle. How bad is it to change the seal? Should I get a shop to do it?

the seal is easy if you have a fsm it is even easier basicly drop the DS pull the old seal out lube up the new seal and push it in just make sure you push it in even.

Back