• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulling the AX-15

xjrockrawler21

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to pull the tranny out of a 96 with the 4.0 and ax 15. i am have a new input shaft bearing pressed in, and put a new clutch and throw out bearing. Anyways i have everthing disco. except i can not get the two torque nuts that are on the top side of the bell housing. i can only get a 1/2 ratchet in there and dont have enough leverage to break it loose. i keep hitting the body. just wondering if anyone has any tricks or advice.
Thanks

You may find that tilting the transmission downward will allow you the to get a long extension on the socket. I used a transmission jack to obtain the desired angle. Be sure your fan blade does not come into contact with the radiator when you are tilting the transmission. And, when you go to reassemble the unit use a couple of 4 inch bolts, with the heads cut off, to align the bell housing to the block. Do a search on clutch replacement, as there is a great deal of good information available on this topic.

xjrockrawler21 said:
I am trying to pull the tranny out of a 96 with the 4.0 and ax 15. i am have a new input shaft bearing pressed in, and put a new clutch and throw out bearing. Anyways i have everthing disco. except i can not get the two torque nuts that are on the top side of the bell housing. i can only get a 1/2 ratchet in there and dont have enough leverage to break it loose. i keep hitting the body. just wondering if anyone has any tricks or advice.
Thanks

I got those through the top where the shifter is: reverse torx+swivel +extension and you're good to go.

i forgot what size socket i used but the torx bolts did come off with reg sockets jsut be sure you use the smallest possible. i used all my extensions so i could work from behind the tranny on the bolt and yea rocking the tranny helps.

i got the the torx's out. I felt the input shaft and there is no movement at all. there is no movement side to side or up and down, or in and out, so i think the input shaft is still good. the clutch is worn and the bearing looks shot. so hopefully that it all it is.

You'll find that those bolts are threaded 3/8"-16, so measure the underhead length and buy hex head or socket head replacements. You can also use 3/8"-16 studs, but I'd have to look up the length. I prefer studs - it makes it easier to get the transmission lined up and in.

Where in NorCal?

5-90
San Jose, CA

Back