• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

comanche wont shut off

backwoods

NAXJA Forum User
hey all, was driving down the road today, and my 88 comanche 2wd
2.5L/5sp all of a sudden dies. I have headlights , but nothing inside
the truck gauges,radio,ignition,etc. Went home and looked on google
groups a bit, to find some related info. Got back to the truck and
upon inspection of the coil area i could see a loose wire. Wire went
directly under the man coil wire that goes to the d. cap. Plugged it
in, and sure enough the truck fires right up! Hooray! Drive home and
relize the damn thing wont shut off now! Resorted to pulling the coil
wire off the distributor cap by hand getting shocked multiple times in
the process. Works but less than ideal :)

Anyone have anything similar happen? Im no mechanic but I cant see
any melted wires or anything out of the ordinary.
bw

That engine also has the dreaded CPS crankshaft position sensor. That may have been your original problem. Put the wiring back the way it was and see if it still starts. If it does, look at the CPS.

there was only the 1 single red wire i could see that was hanging there. when its not plugged into the coil assy there's no power (except headlights from what i can see). Plug it in, everything works except dash warning lights stay on and the vehicle does not shut off after being started. have to pull coil wire to stop the engine. I also reseated a bunch of the various wiring harness connections that i could see nearby. but im sure its the one red wire that caused the truck to stall initially. Dont really understand why its not switching off though.

this guy had some similar problems:
http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=e...ps?hl=en&lr=&q=jeep+wont+shut+off&btnG=Search

bw

I'll take a look at my factory wiring manual and see if they have the MJ in it.

Back