• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mudflap mounting?

AndyS

NAXJA Forum User
I'd like to mount some mudflaps on the rear of my lifted/31" XJ. I don't plan on keeping them on year round, just for the winter to keep from throwing slush up on my snowmobile trailer.

Anyone mounted flaps on their XJ? I'm looking for mounting ideas. It doesn't look like just screwing them onto the flares will work, as the tires are rather close to the flaps when they hang down. Thanks for the ideas -

Andy

A buddy has a slick solution to the problem when towing a vehicle. He has a roughly 2'x7; piece of aluminum mounted on the tongue of the tow dolly. It is angled forward at the top at about a 45 degree angle. It really helps with mud and more importantly stones.

Well, according to Rocky Road's website, their mudflaps are no longer in production. This is a shame, as I like how they look. I might give 'em a call tomorrow and see if they have any left over.

The ones from Offroad Innovations are only listed for TJ/YJ/CJ, and they're attached directly to the fram for support. They're also rather pricy, as 85 dollars is the cheapest I've seen them so far..

This thread has motivated me to start working on a set of my own...

I'll be welding the supports to the side of my trailer hitch... 1" box steel (ala ORI design)

each mudflap will be 18"x18" and will be bolted to a 3/4" box runner

Mudflap material is thick "stall mat" I bought at the local tractor supply. (30.00) I had lots left over, and made a rear cargo area may out of the rest with some extra.

2 hitch pins, and 8 nuts, bolts, and washers later, I'm done. I specifically made mine large because I'll be going cross country towing an open trailer with a lot of personal stuff on it, so the cleaner the better.

I'll get pics later if anyone is interested.

John

GI-John said:
This thread has motivated me to start working on a set of my own...

I'll be welding the supports to the side of my trailer hitch... 1" box steel (ala ORI design)

each mudflap will be 18"x18" and will be bolted to a 3/4" box runner

Mudflap material is thick "stall mat" I bought at the local tractor supply. (30.00) I had lots left over, and made a rear cargo area may out of the rest with some extra.

2 hitch pins, and 8 nuts, bolts, and washers later, I'm done. I specifically made mine large because I'll be going cross country towing an open trailer with a lot of personal stuff on it, so the cleaner the better.

I'll get pics later if anyone is interested.

John

Similar to what I did on my CJ

Here's a quick write up of what I did with pics

Matt

Nice ideas guys! I might take a bit of both your ideas and use the tractor trailer mudflap I got at NAPA for 8 dollars, and make a simliar setup that attaches to my hitch. Much stronger mounting point than the thin steel used for the boxed "frame".

Back