• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need information on some Part brands

the_bandit87

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I just got an engine stand and pretty soon I'm going to start taking the 4.0 out. My Jeep is an 87 and all things considered, the engine is in pretty good shape, other than the valve lifters which are making a tapping/clicking noise. I know the engines entire history (I have all the invoices) since it was bought new, by my great-uncle, I'm the second owner. Since I've decided to take the engine out, I got prices on some of the things I might need to replace, like main bearings and the like. My reasons for taking the engine out are primarily to get the valve lifters, I know I can get at them with the engine still in the car, but some of the gaskets (front and rear seal, and I think the oil pan too) are starting to leak, so I might as well replace them while I'm at it. I just got a complete gasket set from mopar, which wasn't too badly priced I guess, $175, the wholesale price. Mopar are pretty good to use since we're frequent customers, but when I picked up the gaskets, I decided to price some parts. For a new set of Valve lifters, their price is $221, connecting rod bearings will cost $220, and Rings are somthing like $120, is it me or are these prices kind of high. I was looking around on the internet and I found Canadian Hi-performance discount, which has really good prices. Valve lifters there cost $50 for a set, and a whole rebuild kit which has connecting rod bearings, mains, rings, and gaskets (I'll see if they can cancel the gaskets) costs $230! These are great prices, but the prices are so good, I'm starting to wonder about the quality, so I though I'd ask if any one here have ever used parts made by these companies, which are Melling Engine Parts, Sealed Performance (owned by Federal-Mogul). The rings are either Hastings or Perfect Circle and the bearings are made by either Clevite77 or ACL bearings. I'd just like to know how these parts will compare quality wise for the Mopar ones. I could probably afford the Mopar parts, but my Truck would probably be off the road until this time next year!

"These are great prices, but the prices are so good, I'm starting to wonder about the quality, so I though I'd ask if any one here have ever used parts made by these companies, which are Melling Engine Parts, Sealed Performance (owned by Federal-Mogul). The rings are either Hastings or Perfect Circle and the bearings are made by either Clevite77 or ACL bearings."

All of these brands listed make EXCELLENT reproduction parts....and I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to take advantage of the large savings you get by using them. I've built lots of engines in the past and I almost ALWAYS have used Melling/Sealed Performance/Clevite. Most engine builders that I know use these as well.....for regular "civilian" (typical usage) type rebuilds and even for lots of high performance rebuild projects! These companies you've listed...most of them...have been in business for a long....long time, and have very exceptional quality control guidelines. For me....it's a "no-brainer"....I'll always use the aftermarket for rebuild parts/gaskets...etc. The only time I ever go to the dealer....is when there's a specific part that the aftermarket has never been able to make as well as the dealer. It is very rare...nowadays...for that to happen. I used to have some problems w/aftermarket fuel pumps in my Auto Service Shop that I owned....so...instead of re-doing the sometimes labor-intensive jobs...I'd go to GM to get the pump. I have had to change...like...3 or 4...Autozone/Advance Auto/Napa/etc fuel pumps because of new product failure. I used to have fewer problems with the factory ones....but they used to cost...like...twice as much. That problem has mainly been addressed now. I just used it for an example...
But as for rebuild/gasket kits....GO FOR IT....Keep your hard earned cash for other UPGRADES....
Just my .02 cents worth....anyway.
Aron

yes, selectivity is important, getting input from shop owners is a good idea and do as much research as you can on others who have used the parts in question and see what their results are. Unfortunately you will get alot of negative feedback because users who have problems are more prone to voice the problem than users who have no problems, how many people bitch about not having any problems :D

Thanks alot, I did some more reading on their web site, and its free shipping for any thing under 30 kilograms (i'm too lazy to convert it from metric, but I'm pretty sure that that's almost 60 lbs), and I can't see how bearings and rings and possibly an Oil Pump would be that heavy. I think I'm going to go for it, thanks for the advice!

You're welcome!....Good Luck with your rebuild/build-up project. I've been reading alot lately about making the 4.0 a stroker....and it sounds pretty INVITING. As a matter of fact....late at night.....I can almost swear that I can hear my XJ chanting....."S-T-R-O-K-E-R"......!LOL
Aron

Back