• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 XJ brake job?

Heinz

NAXJA Forum User
I've got warped rotors from Brute Stop pads(I beleive they overheat rotors) , and am going to go to diff. pad tomorrow, how are ceramics? Auto store says $40-$50 a set and I'm gonna need to have rotors turned too. Also geez! I forgot, on a 92 XJ 4x4 w/ P/T NP231 case, do rotors just pop off when you remove calipers, AND are bearing imbedded in rotors? Also rotor prices vary from $20 to $50 each - how are the $20 rotors - what is difference in quality/price? Thanks, Heinz

After the caliper is unbolted and out of the way (via E-16 Torx socket), the rotor just slips off the hub. There is no seperate bearing on the rotor.

I have had good luck so far (20,000 mi of tender and about 100 not-so-tender, in the past 15 months) with the 'cheaper' replacement rotors and pads from AZ, but there has to be a difference...

Torquing the wheels properly -or not- probably plays a large part in warpage... the top of the 'hat' part (that slips over the lug studs) is fairly thin.

I tried running various aggressive pads, and all they did was wear the rotor faster, and warp it. Like Woody said, I've had the best results lately with el cheapo organic pads, and the best quality rotor I could find (one piece, with a thicker hat than OEM, and no made in China crap...). The organic pads have better initial bite than metallic pads do, and I haven't had problems with brake fade like I was expecting, even when pulling a snowmobile trailer.

you guys are right - the damn Brute Stop pads did warp rotors! pads looked FINE w/ lotsa meat left though. I got $39 OEM NON China rotors and Bendix RV pads, put all together yesterday, and they work great! Even gave me these little.10, .15, .20, .25 spacers to use on pads between calipers. Didnt use em, no need, maybe later. Heinz

I have replaced the rotors on my cherokee ('96 Country) three times. Wondering where you got the non-china rotors... I have gotten very good wear from the cheap pads, in fact I have had to replace the rotors more often than the pads. The vibration just gets worse and worse. I replace the pads whenever I replace rotors, but it seems pretty ridiculous to do it that way.

Hey I put new rotors on and pads and no squeaks for two days and stop great, then squeak! I did not put the little pad "shims" on, two for each pad (1 per ear) marked .10, .15,.20 and .25 - I'm not sure where to measure distance from, directions kinda sketchy. Any hints? Guess I'll pop pads out and do again, I HATE SQUEAKS! Also at 164K should I replace calipers? How much$? "Seem" to be working OK, Thanks, Heinz

Back