• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problems with 89 XJ?

I have an '89 XJ (Wagoneer Limited) and it has been very good to me. It's got 225,000 on the original engine and transmission. I've heard lots of folks rave about the 4L engine and the AW4 tranny....I'd have to agree!

'First I've seen it . . . . If memory serves me, rear brakes were a problem in 89. If we knew which engine it has that might get some feedback going . . . I don't know whether, in 89, there was more than one transfer case or transmission . . . .

I don't think rear brakes were particularly a problem in '89, but '89 was the first year the XJ offered ABS, and the ABS system that year is a dog, to be avoided if possible and removed if you get stuck with it.

Well, my admittedly feeble memory wasn't too far off that time . . . . Don

Thanks guys its a 4.0 auto with 231 T/C, a friend has a 88 that went 305,000 without any work to speak of, I know the Puegoet ( just guessing at the spelling) manual trannys were junk. Just wondered if there were any other issues. Thanks

Unless you're getting a really good deal, I would suggest you look for a '91 or newer. Better cooling system, stronger engine, better computer, better rear axle. (if you get one with the 8.25) I had a '90, now I have a '96, I like the '96 ALOT better.

I have a '90...no real probs. to speak of other than the flywheel...it cracked in a few places and had to be replaced, just underwent state inspection today...it passed.

Back