• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C dillemmas....

JKTXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Last summer in the middle of Nevada on a 105 degree day (seriously), the clutch on my A/C compressor self destructed. I have yet to fix this because I have heard the clutch probably blew up because the compressor locked up. Anyway, I think I will just go without A/C, as they are pretty spendy to fix and this rig will one day not be my daily driver. So, will I get better cooling through my radiator if I remove the condensor from in front of it? I would assume so. What all is involved in that, being it has refrigerant lines to it? Can I have the system evacuated then just pull the lines and plug them, or will this have some other effect on the heater/A/C unit where the lines go to? Just want to make sure I don't fix one problem and cause another. Or, if someone has a nice R-12 compressor and clutch for cheap, gimme a holler :)

Thanks, JP

Depends on how much you sweat I guess :) Me, I'd find one at a yard for cheap, use it as a core and pick up a rebuilt if going the R12 route. Otherwise I would pick up a R134a compressor and upgrade. Check out some of the hot rod magazines, Street Rodder comes to mind, they sell complete kit for under $500 and I also seem to remember a link here to one supplier that had a complete kit for the XJ for a really resonable price. Maybe Ivan kept the link. The only way I would not fix it was if I was going to chop the top but even then that AC sure is nice when the temps hit the high 2 digits and beyond.

Do it cheap

The most cost effective way is just to get a compressor out of the junkyard. You can put the r134a in. Follow the directions on the kit and put in a the lubricant and the recommended pressure of r134 (I believe it is about 10 to 15% less). There will be a difference at idle but you won't feel a thing at cruise speeds. The cost for upgrading isn't worth it especially if you're eventually going to take it out. I run r134 in my '85 and get great cooling.

I'm not so worried about keeping the A/C, I just want to know what I need to do to remove the condensor from the front of the radiator. The few shops I've talked to said don't do it, just leave the system intact. I would like to get better cooling, as we all know the XJ is a hot running machine.... even with the GDI radiator! How can I bypass the condensor without screwing up anything else? Also, what do non A/C xj's have in place of the A/C in regards to belt routing? I can find no diagram for a non A/C system and I have 3 manuals :confused:

Which compressor is it? I have a Sanborn out of my donor vehicle I'll let go for $40 + UPS. It was charged and working when I pulled it.

Tom Houston
Loveland, Colorado

It's an R12 compressor from a 94. Not sure what actual compressor it is though, but it has 709T stamped on the top of it. What year is yours out of? Email me details at [email protected]

It is from an 88 Cherokee

Back