• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping gauge clusters??

buffalomatt350

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 98 Cherokee with the gauge cluster that has the idiot lights on it, but I want the gauges. Can I just swap the two, and plug the one with gauges in, or is the wiring, sending units, etc. different for a Jeep equipped with the gauge option than for one with idiot lights?

Do a search, you will find a ton of info on it, I did mine last year. Take note of the part time and full time lights, security and low fluid lights.

yes its just a plug in... The back of a full gauged cluster is the same as the idiot lights, just swap them. Ive got a 97 that had the idiot lights i swapped in a full gauge cluster, your milelage will change, if you ever sell the vehicle youll need to put the old one back, and there is a tailgate light that will come on, just remove the bulb, cus your XJ doesnt have that option.

ruggedjeep said:
yes its just a plug in... The back of a full gauged cluster is the same as the idiot lights, just swap them. Ive got a 97 that had the idiot lights i swapped in a full gauge cluster, your milelage will change, if you ever sell the vehicle youll need to put the old one back, and there is a tailgate light that will come on, just remove the bulb, cus your XJ doesnt have that option.

It all depends on the donor cluster, mine was from TJ. most lights 'line up' correctly cept for the two I mentioned...

I did mine a few months ago. I believe the cluster I got was from a 97 XJ. Mine is 98 also. Real easy swap. I found mine on ebay for $75.

Back