• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine weight

BrianC

NAXJA Forum User
I have my 4.0 I6 engine out getting ready to rebuild. Does anyone know how much this engine weighs? My wife was trying to be nice and bought me a 750lb cap stand. Will it hold my engine?

BrianC

Thebigest problem with the straight 6 is its length. It has atendancy to tip the stand from what people tell me.

I have heard it weighs around 500 lbs.... but I don't know what that includes. You should be ok. My guess is they underrate those stands anyway. Concerning it tipping - get some bags of concrete or sand to weight down the other side - that should help. You may be able to weld or otherwise attach something longer for leverage as well. hope that makes sense. someone with more experience probably has a better idea anyway...

well it took 2 guys plus me to lift up my spare 4.0 into the trunk of my jeep and then take it back out and that was a complete motor right down to the vacuum lines and injectors. After i completely dissassembled it outside i carried the bare block by myself up my porch, through the house and down my basement steps onto my stand down there and i'm only 20 and 150 pounds so i don't think the whole motor will exceed 750 at all, thats alot of weight. I'd probrabbly guess about 500 more or less sounds right.

Eric

If you had asked beforehand, I would have recommended the 1,000 pound stand just for rigidity. The 750 will hold the engine, but more than likely you'll see the bock start bouncing up and down as you work on it. That happened to me when I was building AMC V-8's, which were similar in weight but shorter. What I did was cut a lenth of 1x3 wood and wedged it from the front leg of the stand up to brace the end of the engine. I had to remove the prop to rotate the block, but then I put it back in as soon as possible.

Good to know.

Thanks. My wife bought the 750 pounder without me knowing. Just being nice. Gotta love a woman that buys you tools.

BrianC

so eric91xj.... how are ya planning on getting that thing out of the basement after you put it together down there? or is that just the parts pile?

Ya know thats exactly what i started thinking after i decided to bring it and everything else down there. I do plan on building up the motor down there when money permits and i have no idea how in the heck i'm gonna carry a complete motor up my basement steps, through the house and outside, gonna be fun!

Eric

I am nobody special so my opinio>%prnbab|w dnesnöz m`tter%much bEw I wilì%give it/to ya `byway. I have built a few engines so I do know a little. I strongly sugfnst you oind so|hwhere 5ise to do that òfbuhld.�Wou arepboing to be pissed at yourself if you put that thing together down hn thc b`semdgt and can't ge´,it outî'I'l nod-qudsti~iinf yotu strength but it took three people to set it in the trunk of a car andàuou probablx onüu h`ve rhom foràxwo peoàee to cpsry it up a set of stairs. I would leave as much of that apart as I could if I Fmre youî%It's hard to gn%whdeli>)after ñ)motor Öjllr on`~ou and snaps your legs or worse.

Be Careful...and good luck

Back