• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changed injector o-rings one still leaks

tchase

NAXJA Forum User
Our '89 4.0 was leaking from 3 injectors. Removed the rail and replaced all the o-rings. One injector is still leaking where it mates to the rail. Any chance taking the retainer clip off and bending the edges closer together and re-installing might help this? Or did we fubar the o-ring? Since both the other jeeps are currently down and out (one blown water pump, one broken control arm mount) I'd like to avoid taking the rail off again since the limited shop time can be better used elswhere.

It's possible that an o-ring can get damaged during installation. Did you use Vaseline or similar to lube the oring prior?

You can try to rotate the oring where it sits and attempt to have it seat better. Or, you can tear it down and install another oring.

install another one. i just changed out a cracked injector. when i put the rail back on, i had a couple more leaks. i should have replaced all the o-rings when i had it apart. go to napa and get a set of o-rings. its very possible that it got damaged during the install.

part # 2-12093 seal kit.

Problem diagnosed. We need to go injector shopping. Not one, but two injectors are leaking from the seams. I asked the mustang guy at work to have a look around for us the other day so maybe we'll get lucky. Otherwise it's probably just gonna get two new injectors for now.
Unless... is it just the mustang injectors that will work or will any of the ford truck injectors (ie 5.0/5.8 or even the 4.9 I-6) work as well? Anyone? Or are the truck engines even MPI?

Last edited:
I bought the Ford 19 lb fuel injectors from fiveomotorsport (as above), and they work great in my 1990 4.0 engine. Since you are in Nova Scotia, I thought I would let you know that service by mail to Canada was great and didn't take too long - they were a good outfit to deal with from my experience.

It's fixed! I'd like to extend a big thanks to everyone on here for saving us a bunch of money on this. Would've saved a little more if we had listened to you guys right from the start. Changing the o-rings was a waste of time and afterwards we had 5 leaking injectors I guess the crusty old things didn't like being disturbed. We checked with a local guy who has a reputation for knowing a lot about jeeps and he said the ford injectors would not work without a lot of tinkering. We decided we trusted you guys more than him and went with 6 ford 19# units for almost half the cost of the jeep units. We are now leak free and the jeep starts and runs better than ever, not sure if this is due to the switch to the ford units or just due to the elimination of the fuel leak and suspected vacumn leaks where the injectors enter the manifold. I must say we had a bit of a sinking feeling when we first started it up after the switch as it ran very poorly but it smoothed out nicely after a short drive so I assume that was just the air working it's way out of the new injectors.
So, thanks again for the great info. It's nice to be leak free but also very helpful to know for sure that these will work as we have a number of customers and friends with 4.0's who will likely benefit from this in the future.
Tony/Kim

Back