• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87' with d44s

robbieyukon

NAXJA Forum User
i have been hearing from several people that a lot of 87's have d44s. i dont plan on crawling in the snow right now to figure it out. its a 2dr with no frills and rubber floors. might i have an old service jeep or something. there is no tow hitch, but there could have been back in the day. its also the 4.0 w/aw4 trans, 231 tcase. thanks. lets hear what everyone has to say.

I got a 2-door 87'. Its 4.0 w/factory tow package, D44, high output altenator (100 amp), aux. tranny cooler, auto tranny, pure white exterior, black rubber interior. Power nothing on the interior. Bought it at a local junkyard for $150.00. Not a darn thing wrong with it. My driver side door, on the seal, says "Army Corp.of Engineers". It was maticuously maintained. It's a trail rig only. Got pictures if ya want to see it...

You have to get underneath and look. Some 87s with the tow pacjage had D35s, and some 87s w/o the tow package had D44s. It's completely unpredictable.

Eagle said:
You have to get underneath and look. Some 87s with the tow pacjage had D35s, and some 87s w/o the tow package had D44s. It's completely unpredictable.
If this is true, then I know of some XJ's at the local junkyard I need to take a second look at. Cool...

My 2door 87 4.0 Laredo has the factory hitch and D35. It is an ex-Canadian model. As Eagle said, you need to look at them. I am getting ready to pick up a D44 from an 87 Pioneer of all things.

-Copperhead

my 87 laredo had a factory hitch and factory harness inside the panel and a trac-loc D44.. but my 87 limited had a D44 and what appeared to be an aftermarket hitch with no factory wiring.. AMC was famous for using whatever was "on the the floor" at the time.. i have seen 1 legit D44 in an 88 stripo model..

my 87 limited had a dana 44 and trac-loc but didnt have a factory hitch. it had a u-haul hitch and aftermarket wiring cause it didnt originally have the factory tow package. the only way to find out is to crawl underneath and look. the easiest way to tell is bolt placement on the diff. cover. i dont remember the difference between the two though, sorry. i miss the 44 and the whole jeep in general, but when youre young and broke, you have to sell things to survive sometimes. this is one thing i wish i didnt sell.

my 87 laredo has the d44 with no towing package, no trac-lok, but i installed a hidden hitch and wired it....now mine was bought in denver so it has the high altitude package....wonder if they decided if XJ's sold in mountainous regions had D44's...

My '87 MJ Base model has a D44 that I installed in place of the original D35.

ive gotten a 44 out of a pioneer woody and a lerado. also, i know where another one is in another lerado. :laugh3:

robbieyukon said:
i have been hearing from several people that a lot of 87's have d44s. i dont plan on crawling in the snow right now to figure it out. its a 2dr with no frills and rubber floors. might i have an old service jeep or something. there is no tow hitch, but there could have been back in the day. its also the 4.0 w/aw4 trans, 231 tcase. thanks. lets hear what everyone has to say.

I looked for one for a couple of months, found the D44 in a 4X2. The year I couldn't tell. I'm guessing a 87. I asked a lot here and 87-89's had them 87 the most common. The donor I got mine from didn't have a tow package or either it was missing. Keep looking you will find one. I know a jeep only junk yard but they are crazy and want 650 for one.

My good Jeep is an 87 Laredo with a D44, no trac lok, factory hitch, wireing and skidplates. Its a Canadian Jeep (ordered and sold up here) but I'm pretty sure it was built on the Toledo line. It dosn't have the Charcole canister (that was one thing about the candian spec ones, I guess we have more lenient emission standards). The other 87 I have is a Pioneer, also with factory hitch and I'm pretty sure wireing, but this one has the D35, and its an american model, with the canister. This one was pretty basic too, no power options, but it does have this wierd thing up by the sunvisors, I think its a factory garage door opener or somthing, or maybe a REALLY early trip computer. Its a moulded pice of plastic, but it has a circut board sticking out of it, and it looks as if somthing else went on to it.

Back