• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Mystery

JarheadJon

NAXJA Forum User
97 Xj 4.0

I had my 2 brothers installing a radio and somewhere they blew a couple of fuses. Well looked at the control module under the hood and found the ignition off accessory fuse was blown too. We replaced it and now the engine will not turn off with out pulling a terminal off the battery and coil. Any one have an idea? Is the ignition switch bad? By the way it will start no problems. Just wont stop and now that the fuse is replaced I can pull the key out and it is still running as are all accessories. Also Odometer reset every time the car was turned off prior to pulling the ignition fuse.

Thanks
Jon

Something in the ignition switch itself I'd guess. Thats what the radio draws it's power off of (on most vehicles) Time to pull the covers off the steering column and have a look and possibly replace the switch

Cheers,
Rowdy 98 XJ sport

Try removing the IOD fuse [#17 the one that was blown], and see if it sill dosn't want to shut off. It might be the iginition switch, but first I would check the conections that was made with the radio install. I bet that your brothers have the wire that go's dead with the igintoin off shorted with the the constant 12V supply. Also the IDO fuse is 15A if there is any other rating replace it with a 15A fuse. The bottom of the PDC cover is labeled with the ratings, and which fuse is the IDO.

Back