• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

high flow cat

R

rangerjoe2001

whats a good one.. and will they work on a 2000.. most I have seen are only up to 99

dont know about the years they will fit

but i have a high flow stainless steel Carsound cat from

www.truckperformance.com

its mated up to my all stainless borla header-downpipe-cat back system and im very happy with it

I believe the 2000 xj has two cats right off the exhaust manifold...which means if you want a high flow cat, you'll need to replace your manifold with a older xj's (stock or header) and replace the downpipe, then put the new cat in the position of the 99 and older xj's. I've heard that the 2000 model year xj's have very restricted exhausts and computer programming...so it would make sense that if you replaced them...you could gain some power. For some reason 20 hp is sticking in my head for these mods. I think I read that somewhere, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's true. Good luck.

kmagnuss_2000 said:
I believe the 2000 xj has two cats right off the exhaust manifold...which means if you want a high flow cat, you'll need to replace your manifold with a older xj's (stock or header) and replace the downpipe, then put the new cat in the position of the 99 and older xj's. I've heard that the 2000 model year xj's have very restricted exhausts and computer programming...so it would make sense that if you replaced them...you could gain some power. For some reason 20 hp is sticking in my head for these mods. I think I read that somewhere, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's true. Good luck.

very informative.. thx!

I don't know about for the newer ones but a lot of people around here say that a high flow cat will make no difference on the older body style (96-older) since they come with pretty high flow cats to begin with. Money'd be better spent on intake, muffler, headers, etc.

BlackSport96 said:
I don't know about for the newer ones but a lot of people around here say that a high flow cat will make no difference on the older body style (96-older) since they come with pretty high flow cats to begin with. Money'd be better spent on intake, muffler, headers, etc.

i already have ..flowmaster exhaust.. and a cone intake along with a throttle body spacer

kmagnuss_2000 said:

Has anyone else heard about this on the 2000's? I figured they had a higher flow cat like the older ones.

Called CAR SOUND, they had a direct replacement for my 92'. $72 shipped from a dealer! Made a huge difference, already had the BORLA CAT BACK but it just felt like something was holding it back and it got worse and worse. Put the cat on the world changed.

REDDOGG.XJ

Did the sound change much when you replaced the cat? I already have a Borla cat-back exhaust(K&N intake, Jet Stage I chip), and would like a little more *umph* in it, and I wouldnt mind a little more sound with it too.

No, I can't say i noticed a change in sound. Does your Borla leak around the band clamp?

ecrogers said:
Has anyone else heard about this on the 2000's? I figured they had a higher flow cat like the older ones.

I haven't heard anything like that. Infact just the opposite with the coil on plug iginition, the redesigned manafold, and the new style intake. They're supposed to have more torque, but same HP. The early year 2000 didn't have the precats either. As far as the highflow cat, I too was under the impression that all honeycomb style cats where highflow.

I have borla header (old model 96) and cat back on my 2000 ltd. it gain more power and good sound. everything is bolt on except the header hanger you must cut and make new one.

IND-XJ said:
I have borla header (old model 96) and cat back on my 2000 ltd. it gain more power and good sound. everything is bolt on except the header hanger you must cut and make new one.

thats what im looking for.. how hard was it?

Oops, typo. I read your post with "Borla" in it and my fingers wrote the same. I have a Gibson exhaust, not borla. And no, it does not leak there, maybe it's a Borla thing. :dunno:

rangerjoe2001 said:
thats what im looking for.. how hard was it?

not so hard but you must weld new hanger. I take the car to muffler shop to relocate the hanger. newer model like 2000 the position of the hanger is about 2" higher.

Back