• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HI LIFT JACK RUST question

generalleexj

NAXJA Forum User
ok well i want to mount my jack to my surco safari rack, but im reading all these threads about them rusting, i dont want this to happen, but i really want it on the safari rack, does anybody have any good ideas ? i saw a protective " bag " for it but that would look dumb sitting on the side of a rack, please let me know any ideas anyone has. and if anyone has successfully had a hilift jack on the roof rack without rusting or getting it damaged from the elements, please let me know, thanks alot

matt

mine is mounted outside the vehicle (across the hood) and the only rust after a year is on the spots where the paint was chipped off from use.. it WILL need regular cleaning/lubrication if you leave it outside though.... those spring-pins stick all the time...

Hi Lift jacks are there to be used, they will need regular maintenance if you want it to work well when you need it. if you mount it inside the truck and do not use it, it will likely not rust. Mine has be mounted outside on a safari rack, a yakima rack, a bumper etc for at least 15 years (probably much closer to 20 years) it has been used regularly and I clean it, lubricate it regularly. It has always worked flawlessly for me.

My vote is to mount it outside. you might want to lock it also?

Michael

I've got mine mounted on my rack and it has some rust on it. For now, I just pull it off and lube it every once in a while--eventually I'm planning on repainting it, but that might be more trouble than it's worth.

I've never had mine inside during all the years I have been 4 wheeling. If you forget to maintain it, It'll hang up on you... but you can get it working again with some WD-40 or some oil. Best thing to do is to grease or oil it every oil change. That way you are less likely to forget.

HarveOut-

I have a Hi-Lift mounted to the rear bumper of my 91 and going to school up here in the middle of nowhere NY it hasn't exactly had a pleasant life. The first winter I had it up here it did start rusting a little bit so I pulled it off, sanded it all down and painted it with a good spray enamel. It was nice to take the thing apart to, found out that they are pretty field maintanable as long as you remember which way the pins go back in. Since then I haven't had much rust trouble and I have been keeping it much better lubricated and it works when I need it. I saw mount that thing up.

Mine's been mounted on my safari rack for about 3 years, always outside. Only the working parts have surface rust on them. A little WD-40 on the springs and it works like a champ.

Back