• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question for guys with Hella E-Codes...

No real trouble with mine. I like the cutoff for the low beam, and I purposely aimed them a little lower than normal.

However, with 90/130W bulbs and in the SF Bay Area, I don't get "flashed" by oncoming drivers with my low beams, so there doesn't seem to be much trouble there.

Bear in mind that the purpose of a low beam is to illuminate the road surface at short range in lit settings and at low speeds. High beams are meant to illuminate the road at longer ranges, and the beam is necessarily higher and fuller. Since Europeans tend to drive at higher speeds (at least in Germany, where Hella lighting is designed and built,) the high beam will give longer-range illumination.

5-90

I know all that. It just seemed when I had mine that when my lows were aimed correctly, that the high beams were pointed up at the trees, and didn't even touch the road surface.

Nope, they work like typical E codes, low beams light the surface and high beams light the road way down ahead of you. I've had mine for 7 years. You sure they are adjusted correctly ? I do mine on a big wall, park about 25ft back, use a ruler to measure the center line on the lights then transfer that measurement to the wall, using a chalk line. I generally adjust the cutoff line to about 1" below the chalk line.

Back