• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

INfernal tank straps!!

Rowdy

NAXJA Forum User
Got the problem finally pinpointed.. fuel pressure takes a dive when more than half throttle. went and picked up a new pump and jacked the back end up. Theres about 1/4 tank of fuel.. but the tank strap bolts are too long for a socket and pretty much rusted solid. Anyone have any ideas? I was thinkin to just cute em off and replace them.

The J-bolts are dealer-only and pricey, but the obvious solution. If you have a set of rethreading dies, you can run those up the J-bolts on the vehicle to clean the rust off the threads, soak the nuts with PB Blaster for a day or two, then try again.

Or do what I did.. get some threaded rod, and heat one end and bend it to match the hooks on the OEM ones.
Get a washer/lock washer and bada boom!

I gave mine a coat of tremclad, or u could use POR-15 or something similar.

Ditto, broke one on a friends 96 and had some threaded rod in the garage,found a nut, heated, bent in the vise, tacked it and there you go!

-P

i broke one when i replaced my tank last year.. i went to the hardware store and got a nice stainless j-hook and nuts/washers to go with it and its done... the j-bolts from the dealer are like $15 each.. they are actually a very similar design to the bolt that secures the spare tire to the bulkhead in the rear.. the same "nail-head" on the end... it's just a bit longer...

I Just used a really long carrage bolt and heated and bent the end into a J. Worked prefect.

So I would say yes, definatly cut them off because it would be less trouble making new ones then trying to get the old ones off.

Just be careful when cutting those suckers off. You could be going ZOOM ZOOM BOOM!....just like those Mazda ad's.:)

Back