• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tie rod flip inserts

DSC00058.JPG

DSC00064.JPG

I have since changed it to a castle nut with a cotter pin

I installed the goferit bushing ... IMO a good low cost way to gain tie rod clearance ... and easy to do. Randy's pics show the increased clearance very well.

Les

i have the goferit flip kit as well.

easy install. only modification i had to do was grind the extended sway bar mount for tierod clearance at full lock...

Definatly gets the tie rod up and out of the way and can't beat the price. Keep in mind that you'll have to buy a big ass 3/4 in drill bit as well, mine was 18 bucks i think. I drilled mine with my cordless drill. So drilling the knuckle isn't that difficult.

install12.jpg

not to hi-jack here,
but what if someone was to use the 2 flip kits w/ the tera knuckle and tie rod conv.??

-g

Option are to buy a tapered reamer and re-taper the hole from above. Costs a little more ($50 for the reamer. Don't forget to add in the 3/4" drill bit cost if you don't own one already) for the reamer and requires careful reaming, but if you have more than one rig to do, the reamer pays for itself on the 2nd rig.

Last edited:
Spanky414 said:
Does it only do the drivers side? Why not both?

Why does it say you must use the special nut that comes with it?

yes, only drivers side with stock steering setup. look at the tie rod end on the passenger side...it's part of the drag link, it cannot be rotated.

the nut they send is a locking nut. i didn't use it....i went back to a castle nut w/ cotter pin

87CherokeeChief said:
so to do this mod you dont actaully have to buy that special nut?

the nut comes with the kit.

the insert technically does not have to be welded in place to work. welding it keeps it from staying on the tierod end when you remove the tie rod. Getting the insert off the TRE when its stuck on there is PITA...had to wrestle with that one a few times.

IntrepidXJ said:
yes, only drivers side with stock steering setup. look at the tie rod end on the passenger side...it's part of the drag link, it cannot be rotated.

the nut they send is a locking nut. i didn't use it....i went back to a castle nut w/ cotter pin

I am doing both sides but as stated above you can not use the standard drag link. It is because when you flip it over the bends in it go the wrong way. For me this is easy to overcome as all I have to do is use a LHD drag link. You guys would have to use a RHD link.

Gojeep said:
I am doing both sides but as stated above you can not use the standard drag link. It is because when you flip it over the bends in it go the wrong way. For me this is easy to overcome as all I have to do is use a LHD drag link. You guys would have to use a RHD link.

I am looking to do the same thing. Do you know if the replacement of the DL is all that is needed? Or will the adjusting sleave and the rest need to be change also. What are you doing with your track bar? I am considering using the skyjacker TB with a little beefing of the axle end mount.

Jerry

Another option is to buy a tapered reamer and go down from the top. Then buy one ton chevy TREs and build you an inverted T set up instead of the inverted Y.
342989%3A%3B23232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E2334%3D%3C8%3A%3D324%3DXROQDF%3E2323759%3A%3B8332ot1lsi

342989%3A%3B23232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E2334%3D%3C8%3A%3D324%3DXROQDF%3E2323759%3A%3B5899ot1lsi

342989%3A%3B23232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E2334%3D%3C8%3A%3D324%3DXROQDF%3E2323759%3A%3B46%3B4ot1lsi

I think the shoulder of the locknut prevents the bushing from pulling thru or creeping out of the top of the arm. I guess a grade 8 washer with a castle nut would be good too.
I like the idea and will be installing those we we get settled in Ga.

Gojeep said:
was looking at doing that the RHD tie rod can be had at dealers ask for one for a Postal XJ, they were all RHD, but they are around 175 bucks!!!

JerryV said:
I am looking to do the same thing. Do you know if the replacement of the DL is all that is needed? Or will the adjusting sleave and the rest need to be change also. What are you doing with your track bar? I am considering using the skyjacker TB with a little beefing of the axle end mount.

Jerry

It is only the drag link needed as I checked all the part numbers between a LHD and RHD and the only one different in the whole steering links was the drag link.
You will have to raise the trackbar at the axle or lower at the frame end the same amount as gained by doing the flip over to prevent bumpsteer.

DrMoab said:
Another option is to buy a tapered reamer and go down from the top. Then buy one ton chevy TREs and build you an inverted T set up instead of the inverted Y.
342989%3A%3B23232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E2334%3D%3C8%3A%3D324%3DXROQDF%3E2323759%3A%3B8332ot1lsi

342989%3A%3B23232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E2334%3D%3C8%3A%3D324%3DXROQDF%3E2323759%3A%3B5899ot1lsi

342989%3A%3B23232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E2334%3D%3C8%3A%3D324%3DXROQDF%3E2323759%3A%3B46%3B4ot1lsi

I have thought about doing this also and have seen it done a few time before. Did you make your own links up as well or were you able to source some from a Chevy etc that you could use? Otherwise it would cost a bit getting RH and LH taps to do it.

Back