• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stumble/loss of power

Rowdy

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

When more than 1/2 throttle at cruise or when you floor it my 98 sport 4.0L falls on it's face and almost starts to surge. Any ideas?

cheers,
Mike

Check the computer for fault codes. If it's a sensor problem (most likely the TPS), a fault code will be stored even if the "check engine" light doesn't come on and that'll help you make the diagnosis.

Unfortunatly I don't have a scantool to check the codes. Or that would have been my first course of actions.. It seems to me like a fuel pump at this point.

As long as you have the digital odometer (which you do), you can check it yourself for free. All you have to do it put the key in the ignition, hold down the trip reset button, and turn the ignition on (do not start the Jeep). let go of the button and the computer will begin doing a self check. All the gauges will move all the way up and down, and a series of numbers will be flashing on the computer (11111111,222222222,333333333 etc etc). Once that is done, if there are any codes that have been stored it will show them to you (briefly, so you may have to do this a couple times, or be ready to write it down), and then it will go back to normal and your normal lights will come back on on the dash.

Once you get the code, do a quick Yahoo or Google search for OBD II Codes. There are all kinds of sites out there with a list of the codes and what they stand for. This will work if yu do it right. This was the first thing I did when I got my 99 a few weeks ago.

Hope this helps! :)

p.s. This will work on ANY Chrysler vehicle with the digital Odometer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great tip! I knew there had to be a way to check.. with the older chryslers you'd cycle the key on and off 3 times and it would flash the check engine light to indicate which codes...

Nothing at all came up and my friends scantool showed nothing as well. I think it's an intermittent fuel pump problem. Time to replace :)

Thanks again
Rowdy

No problem. I've also heard that doing the key cycle thing works still, but I can't get it to on mine or my mom's KJ. Plus, I can't imagine that being good for the fuel pump.

Back