• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

nearly stolen xj

dbkirkpatrick

NAXJA Forum User
Last march (I know I am a huge procrastinator) some broke into my xj and tried to steal it. after failing at that they decided to move on to my stereo and brand new socket set. The problem now is that I have been driving around for the last nine months having to stick my hands into the steering column to use my blinkers, also I don't have brights, or windshield wipers (no biggie I live in New Mexico!). I found all the parts I need to repair the damage except the plastic piece on the steering column itself. The chrysler dealership wants $220-$260 for it, since it is a GM made part the Chevy dealership wants $140 for it, and the local junkyard will sell the same part, new, for a tilt steering column (I'm straight) for $75 is there a way I can get the junkyard prices on the part I need?

The part has been called a lock bowl or a theft kit, among other things

ps. I have pictures but don't Know how to post

I don´t really know if the 91 is the same as my 87 XJ. But noticed the column was nearly identical in my 90 YJ, to my 87XJ and 88XJ. I´ve used parts and pieces out of a 71 Chev column I have in the garage, not all but some.
What I´m geting at, is I beleive the parts your looking for, are common and plentifull. I´d check a pick and pull, wouldn´t pay much for what I need.
One excepting is the turn signal assembly, they get old and brittle, a pain to change, but used, it might be a waste of time.
Used tumblers are also questionable.

If you have the GM style column, check some of the Wrangler catalogs. They sell a security collar that stays on the column and runs (IIRC) about $50-60.
Hope that helps.

email me the pic and I can post it for ya. [email protected]
what color interior? I have the whole column on my parts rig but its marroon.

dbkirkpatrick said:
is there a way I can get the junkyard prices on the part I need?
www.car-part.com

However, I'll be surprised if a junkyard will sell you just that part. They would have to remove it from a steering column, and that would make the column unsaleable. You might have better luck posting in the Wanted section of the NAXJA classified forum and hope someone is parting out an XJ.

here are the pics. also I was at the pull a part this morning and there was that exact piece on top of an XJ but it was black I can get a cost for ya and just shipping and its yours if your interested.
column2.jpg

column1.jpg

column.jpg

Go find a tilt column, swap the lock cylinder out and go from there. Almost any GM column should work, just look at the connectors first...

I might not know what I'm talking about here but let me try to help by throwing-out a word of caution. I own two 88's and I agree those columns are GM ...................... I also own a 91 and I'm pretty certain that column is Chrysler . . . . . . . . . Don

Back