• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

places to wheel in IN

spazegun2213

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so before i make a complete fool of myself at winterfest, i have decided i need to pop my wheelin cheery before then. So where are some good places to wheel in IN? I'm in terre haute so, in the south west corner.

thanks
-Spaze

spazegun2213 said:
OK, so before i make a complete fool of myself at winterfest, i have decided i need to pop my wheelin cheery before then. So where are some good places to wheel in IN? I'm in terre haute so, in the south west corner.

thanks
-Spaze

Well, you can spend the time, money and effort and drive the 1.5 hours to Atti-tuckey (aka Attica, IN). Incidently, just happens to be where the Bad Lands ORV park is located. :D

Or.... You can use the USGS 7.5 minute maps that cover the Hoosier National forest and go find open forest roads. But thats if you're willing and able to get your rig unstuck by yourself, or with others. I'm guessing that you're a student at ISU there in Terrible Hole, if the school has a geology department they should have set of Indiana topo. The DeLorme Gazetter of Indiana is a good map sourse but doesn't have the small forest roads on it. Try over in the area West of Mitchel, IN, using one of the USGS maps. Mitchel is about an 1.5 hours east of TH. Lots of mud if that's what you like, but then again you're in the midwest.

Good luck!

Terre Haute is hardly the SW corner. To answer your question...

Badlands (closed until March, so no good).

Redbird SRA, I know they have a website might try a search on here or google.

You may not be all that far from Rockport in Ill.

HTH

XJFang said:
Well, you can spend the time, money and effort and drive the 1.5 hours to Atti-tuckey (aka Attica, IN). Incidently, just happens to be where the Bad Lands ORV park is located. :D

Or.... You can use the USGS 7.5 minute maps that cover the Hoosier National forest and go find open forest roads. But thats if you're willing and able to get your rig unstuck by yourself, or with others. I'm guessing that you're a student at ISU there in Terrible Hole, if the school has a geology department they should have set of Indiana topo. The DeLorme Gazetter of Indiana is a good map sourse but doesn't have the small forest roads on it. Try over in the area West of Mitchel, IN, using one of the USGS maps. Mitchel is about an 1.5 hours east of TH. Lots of mud if that's what you like, but then again you're in the midwest.

Good luck!

WTF is available in Mitchell? I grew up in that area and am aware of no trails.

I live in the Mitchell area, we wheel at several pretty good spots. And Redbird is also closed until spring. Some of us are going to Haspin Acres on the 29th it would be a long drive but you are welcome to go.

Dirk Pitt said:
WTF is available in Mitchell? I grew up in that area and am aware of no trails.

Yeah, and I grew up in Gary. Doesn't mean I know where to pick up hookers.

I'll be happy to show you my favorite spots to camp and wheel if you can get me access to any caves in the area that I don't know about. All those Amish people seem to be sitting on a cave or two down towards Orangeville. Otherwise I guess you're a bit like me here in Chicago, I'm always amazed to find new things to do in my own 'hood.

PM me if you'd like to continue this discussion. I'll be down near Bloomington with a group about the begining of March. You're welcome to join in if you want to camp out and go see a cave. :)

xj8_8 said:
I live in the Mitchell area, we wheel at several pretty good spots. And Redbird is also closed until spring. Some of us are going to Haspin Acres on the 29th it would be a long drive but you are welcome to go.

I may be new around here too, but I do get out of the city from time to time. Also I've friends in southern Indiana that have shown me a place or two. The offer to Dirk is extended to you as well, since you're in Indiana's cave country also.

Redbird does special group rides over the winter if you call them in advance. I know some people who have done this on ATVs, so I'm sure they'll do the same for Jeeps. I think you have to have more then 10 people in your group in order for them to open the place up.

Theres also some land East of Evansville in the Spurgeon/Interlake area, but the DNR currently has it closed and its still up in the air if it will re-open due to land reclamation.

I could probably get 5 or so to do Redbird in a couple of weeks, if everything goes ok at Haspin next weekend. As for the caves I used to do a lot of the area caves. pm me some time if you are going to be in the area.

Thanks for the locations. Yea, it really is the terrible haute, and here at Rose, no one wheels. there is only a TJ with a lift, and i have never seen dirt on it.

It looked from the redbird website that they dont open till april or something??
I dont know, but I'd be willing to wheel just about any weekend.

Thanks
-Spaze

I got the privilege to meet Tony Lance (pres. illiana off-roaders/redbird managmnt) at the SEMA Off-Road show this past weekend in Indy and he took the time to explain the way they worked with the DNR to get this park opened. It is a wonderful success story and he has several invites to go to other states, to explain the process.

We here in IL are taking notes on their progress and their events. We support their efforts to maintain this public park ... they even have a truck that was donated by the state to them.

84492238.jpg

congrats to all that made this happen. The First Lady and her staff even attended the park this past fall and did some wheeling with the management group, they had nothing but good things to say. "when groups such as IFWDA and DIRT work together with the DNR, great things can and WILL happen"

Their season will open again, for the weekends, April 2nd and they currently offer special bookings for the park during any other dates.

visit www.redbirdsra.com for additional info.

the GREAT news is ... they hope to add 200 additional acres to bring the total to 800 acres.

TJ

I enjoyed Redbird when I was there. The trails are tight and there is lots of mud ... a lot like Orange at Badlands. Nice local place ... :thumbup:

Les

yeah.... Les knows how much fun I had at redbird :rolleyes:. it was my first real wheeln' experience and loved every minute of it. i'd definitely go back.

Fuel90 said:
yeah.... Les knows how much fun I had at redbird :rolleyes:. it was my first real wheeln' experience and loved every minute of it. i'd definitely go back.

It was worth the ass-eatin' you got when you got home too ... huh? :D

Back