• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wj heated seat wiring

judah304

NAXJA Forum User
Has anybody sucsessfully wired up heated seats from a WJ jeep. PLease help with any info you might have. The info that I found talks about a separate control unit for the memoryand seat heaters. But then it also says the Body control module on the WJ controls it. I am just wondering why I cant hook up power. Or will it just heat until it burns out or I catch on fire. Please help we had a -18 wind chill today in NY. I need seat heaters.
Brian

Couldn't you just eliminate the seat memory portion of the retro-fit and just wire up the motors and heaters? How many wires run from the seat harness to the Jeep?

The XJ factory seat heaters only have power & ground the the motors (constant) and switched power (accessory power) & ground to the heater harness.

I was going to go your route with the WJ seats until I happened on a set of heated XJ seats from a 99 Limited.

Well thats what I am hopeing I can do. I could care less about memory my wife does not like driving my truck anyway. I just thought jeep put the thermostat for the seat heaters in the module. I worked in a land rover dealer and we had seat heaters that got so hot it started to burn the leather when left on. I just want to avoid this problem. So let me ask you this you just wired power from a switch and it works fine? Let me know that is of course the easiest way to wire it. Thanks Brian

The 'thermostat' for the seat heaters in the the XJ seats are woven into the the leather seat cover along with the heat coils. I'm sure the WJ seats are the same way.
For the switches, I used the factory seat heaters switches that came in the late model XJ's. I bought the complete interior from a 99 Limited so I was able to get all the wiring I needed. The wiring harness between both seats, the switches, relays, heaters and t-stats have about a million wires BUT, it all connects to the vehicle with only 4 wires as a stated above. Constant power, switched power & ground x2. Just make sure you get the WJ seat wiring harness and you should be fine. All the sensors, relays and modules are bolted under the seats by the power motors (they are in the XJ anyways).

Looking to installed the 99 WJ heated leather seats I just got soon. I'm playing around with the wiring right now. I can get the seats to moved/ adjust no problem just by using the red and black wires, however the heated part is a mystery to me. I DO NOT have the factory harness, just the wiring that came with the seats which have 6 wires coming out. Here is what I know so far

Red/ Gray: Constant 12v
Black: Ground
Pink/ Black: No Idea
Black/ Purple: No Idea
Green/ White: No Idea
Brown/ White: No Idea

Now the 2 wire plug going to the heat elements have-

Orange/ Black & Green/ White going up toward the seat, and then plug into another plug which has Yellow/ Red & Green/ Blue wires going to the main harness in the seat, none of which match the 6 wires that are the main wires to be connected to something. At the very least I can use the seats as I can get them to adjust just fine, but I would really like the heat to work as well.

Can anyone help out and get the wiring diagram, or have done this before and can tell me how to get the heat working?

Thanks!

Todd

The heated seats are controled by the BCM, and the voltage is regulated bu a thermister that is part of the heating pad itself. I have seen TONS of problems with these systems Shorting out and burning up, burning holes through seat covers, melting the foam, or just plain old not working. If I were you I would not waste my time, I would find a aftermarket Heated seat kit mount my switch and run my power and ground......DONE

Also Most of those heated seat grids have been recalled for that reason.

Last edited:
Check under the seat. I using seats from a 98 ZJ full power and heat. I have the whole vehicle. The ZJ seats use a relay under the seat to control the temp and 2 wires go to it from the control unit. One for Acc power and one ground wire. I chased the wires from the seat to the switches on the dash and there were no other control boxes inline. I hooked everthing up to a battery to bench test and it works. My guess is that the relay is a three position and switches depending on voltage. I will try to measure the resistance values on the ground wire tonight to see what they are.

The box for the memory seat is under the drivers seat and separate from the heat.

I know this doesn't apply directly to the WJ, but this is a 98 ZJ and WJ started 99. So, depending what year your seats came out of it might be the same system or scavange the ZJ parts and wire from the relay to the elements.

Hope it helps.:wave1:

I tried a similar experiment last night on Seats from a 1997 grand.
I connected the 2 heated seat wires (Red/Blue stripe (Hot) Blue/White stripe(Ground)) to a battery & the seats get hot!
I was just wondering if there is somehow a way to make them work on a high & low setting, Could the OEM switches vary the voltage to the seats?

I'm bringing this one back up as I'm about to pick up some WJ heated seats to swap into my '00 XJ with manual seats. Give me mechanical and I've got it all day long. Give me electrical and I'll electrocute myself. Any new comings of this?

Thanks,
-Tyler

I looked into it quite extensively when I installed my WJ seats, and the gist of it is that it aint gonna happen. Not easily, and not even 'not easily'. Aside from trying to figure stuff out and burning down the Jeep in the process, I personally dont think its worth the effort (or even possible) of adapting all of the controllers from the WJ to get the heated portion to work. Not to mention the factory WJ heated seats had their own issues when they worked, there is recall or tech bulletin about getting the seats fixed by the dealership. There were a couple that caught fire.

Dont get me wrong, I wish they did work, sure would be nice. I managed to use the stock WJ bracketry, so all of my other power stuff works. Just not the heated portion.

The WJ heated seat elements were the subject of at least two or three recalls. I think first it was just a bulletin, but then it was a recall, and then a recall of a recall. Ive replaced more of them than I care to remember. I too have wondered about how hard it would be to wire a set in, but knowing there are a number of aftermarket heated seat setups, I figured it would just be easiest to go that route. I think part of the problem with the WJ ones is the controller was tied into the computer network, and had a high and low setting, and then a medium setting for after high timed out. High would time out and go to medium to save the elements getting too hot for too long. Good luck.

Back