• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

completely off

J98cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I hooked up my steering after I put on my 4.5 in lift and as i was told the alignment will be off but i didnt expect this. when my steering wheel is straight my left tire is almost straight but my right one points really far to the left. How do I adjust this just so I can get to a shop for an alignment?

Youve got 2 issues to solve.One is toe(adjusted at the tie rod collar),the other is the steering wheel alingment(adjusted by the drag link collar).

That is wierd. I just lifted mine 5 inches and he steering is almost perfect with no adjusting. Yes... the steering wheel is turned about 1/4 off, and I need a touch more toe in... but I was surprised at how well it drove.

When was your last alignment before the lift? It sounds like you can fix it pretty easily like RCP said... but be careful not to run the threads out too far. That can be dangerous.

Good Luck

I cant even remember the last time I had an alignment. Ive had the jeep for about 2 years and I havnt had it aligned since Ive had it. I was very suprised to see how far off I was when I was finished but I looked at the website recommended and Im just going to do it myself or atleast get it close enough so I can drive to a shop If i need to. Thanks for the help

J98cherokee said:
How the heck do you get the tie rod to turn? I loosend the 2 clamps on each end and tried turning it with some vise grips and it wont move a bit.

Hans and Frans say: "more muscle, you've got to pump it up"

brandon
PS, i'm a dork

1st-Get something like PB Blaster(no WD40)and soak real good
2nd-This may take a couple of days!
3rd-in the mean time get a really good straight screw driver(Klein) or 70* chisel and tap from the inside edge of the slot "outwards",also with a hammer lightly tap around the entire sleeve.This should allow the penetrant in and free up the threads!After that Anti-seize is you freind!

You can go to autozone and get a tool for that..it hooks into the slot and won't chew up the tubing like a pipe wrench..but a pipe wrench does work.

I used an open ended wrench that fit snug on the flat part of the tie rod end. Left the other side bolted on and turned. If you use the PB blaster and work it back and forth a few times it'll do just fine.

Back