• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First BB. Please help!

cykaaro

NAXJA Forum User
Since getting my XJ ['90 Pioneer ] this will be the first real mod I'll be doing to it, and want to make sure I have all the facts/info that I need and not missing anything.

I've bot as mentioned above my '90 XJ, auto. So far I've been customizing [read UPGRADING} a lot that didn't come with it, ie, foglights etc. The rear leaf springs are sagging and need to be dealt with. I've gone to a couple places that were recommended to me to see about having them done. All except one, recommended to have a new leaf put in to it, which is great as for me it's relatively inexpensive compared to buying a whole new leaf. I also inquired about giving it a bit more lift in the process, and was told 1 1/2" or 2" wouldn't be a problem, 2" is what I'm looking for as I just want a bit more clearance, and since this is my only vehicle, I'm not wanting to raise it too much for fuel effeiciency on the highway, but to give me the extra clearance for where I go offroad with it.
I've been using the search function, and have seen were coil spacers can be used to get the same height out of the front, which would be a lot cheaper than having the springs replaced, and should suit my needs well since I won't be crawling over rocks or difficult trails like many here do. [Well at least not yet or with this particular XJ> There's alway future projects!!]
For now I need to use the existing shocks as I won't be able to afford to replace anytime soon with a couple repairs as well beside the springs I need going.
Now, questions are with this, is this a pretty simple straight forward procedure? namely just doing the AAL and the spacers? Are there anything else that this will affect or might affect that I should know of? I was looking at the RE spacers. How good are these, or should there be another type I should look at? Was just thinking that since my leafs have to be done anyways, why not add a little bit of lift to it while in the process.
Any and all input on this would be greatly appreciate being a newbie to this.
Thanks!

The definitive BB Check that out. had tools can get the job done. I've done a couple three of these, not hard at all. One helper, lots of PB and time you are done in 6hrs max. if you have all your stuff on hand to do the job.
BTW If you are close to Detroit I'll be there for a visit Saturday noonish, I have some loose leaves lying around here(missing main leaf :laugh3: ). Need some, PM me.
asat

Thanks. Read the article, and helped alot. Should be simple enough thing to do As for PB use it a lot for the things I have done. The unfortunate thing is I haven't had enough experience ot do things my self, or really a place or equipment, so was recommended a place to do it.Thanks for the offer to help and such, as I do greatly appreciate it, But I'm a ways north of where you are.

Back