• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

seal between 231 + AW4

LouisianaZJ

NAXJA Member #1362
i have a leak somewhere and it is leaking directly on the trans crossmember. very slight leak and im not that concerned since both are using Dex III fluid.

i think it is the seal between the aw4 + the 231 in the extension housing

does this sound correct?
how difficult is it to replace?

I had a cheby s10 leak at that seal between a borg warner T5 and a 207 transfer case once. fluid migrated from the tranny to the transfer case in only that direction and left the transmission dry and the transfer case extremely overfull. check your fluid levels to be sure the same thing doesn't happen to you. I waited too long and burnt up the T5 due to no lubricant

You'll have to get the transfer case down, which is a lot easier to do if you have a tranny jack. Getting to the upper nuts for the tcase is a pain - but usually, you can unbolt the crossmember and that will give you the room you need (good thing motor mounts are flexible, no?)

You should be able to replace the seal without tearing anything apart farther than that - I think I used a regular "seal hook" last time I did one, and just a large socket to drive the new one in (I have several that I have for just that purpose. No, I don't remember what size it is, but I've got a 231 out in the shop that I can go look at later if you really need to know...)

Dismounting and remounting the transfer case is probably the biggest pain of the job - the rest is pretty simple.

5-90

Oh - and your local should have "seal hooks" - they're usually billed as "seal pullers," have a longish handle, and a double-bitted hook at the end. If you pay more than $10, you're getting boned.

Actually it's not that bad. I had to replace the seal on the AX15 and the biggest pain was getting to the top two bolts on the tcase, but after I lowered the tranny with the jack a bit: pivoting it on the engine mounts (just make sure you don't go too far and don't put the fan through the radiator or something like that) a socket on a swivel got it.
The tcase itself is not that heavy and in order to remove mine, I slid under the jeep on a creeper and then slid it of the output shaft. Then I set it aside while I replaced the seal, and I have reinstalled the tcase.

5-90 said:
You'll have to get the transfer case down, which is a lot easier to do if you have a tranny jack. Getting to the upper nuts for the tcase is a pain - but usually, you can unbolt the crossmember and that will give you the room you need (good thing motor mounts are flexible, no?)

yes, i am keeping an eye on the fluid levels of both right now

sounds pretty simple, thanks

i think i might replace my t/c chain and pump screen while its all out too

Back