• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odd Brief Grinding

Hiaboo

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

Recently, I began to get a little strange grinding thing when I'd be up at speed.. more specifically around 48 to 58 mph. when I'd let go of the gas, it grinds very quickly then stops, then when I accelerate, it grinds very quickly then stops, it's not a prolonged grind but just briefly enough for maybe less than a second then stops, it does this every time I put on the gas and let it off. and it does not happen at full stop, and then accelerating.. only when it's at speed... any ideas? I'm considering the YJ yoke and new U joints. would $250 be reasonable for a shop to do this? (middle fo the winter and temps in the teens.. no thanks).

I have a 2.5" lift on the jeep. no vibes, etc. just this one little annoying thing thats getting on my nerves.

Sounds like it happens when the axle rotates up or down during acceleration or deceleration. U-joint being bound and stressed a little. Unless they have to take apart the diff. to put in that new yoke it sounds kind of expensive, otherwise the diff work alone would cost about $300 around Cleveland, OH.

Is the grinding obviously metal on metal? How loud? I get a noise in the same circumstances that you describe, but I would say mine is more of a brief grumbling sound. My guess that is one of the rubber joints somewhere. It has been going on for a while now and I've checked to make sure everything is good and tight and lubed underneath, so I guess I'm just now waiting for it to get worse or till something breaks. Please post your results.
Thanks,
Joe

Had same sound until I put in a SYE. Once that was in, problem was gone. DS u-joints usually sound like someone jumping on a squeeky bed spring.

Have the exact same problem after my 4.5" lift and shimming. Sounds like someone trying to stop a small handheld fan with their finger for less than a second. I am chalking it up to slip yoke noise, or as mentioned, something in the rear shaft. I have a SYE and new DS to make it go away and for the other reasons of couse.

Oh...and I also noticed that after installing the longer shackles, the tailpipe is really close to the bolt. Close enough that during engine torque while accel or decel, it might tap it alittle. Maybe juse tnough to cause alittle buzzing noise from its own vibration? Let us know if you find it out for sure. My bet is on the SYE tho...

Justin

Its definately coming fromt the area of TC.. (I'm deaf but hey, I can feel it.. and my buddy who's hearing, says its definately grinding) and it is not the muffler tapping thing caz its not touchin anything apparent.... I know the ujoint job is like 190, but I dont konw about yokes. but since they have to yank the thing anyway.. i cant be much more than that. Ghetto.. you probably pretty much described the sound perfectly.. (dont ask how I know, I just do). I'm just not leery on doin this because I dont need my parents on my case.. (I'm still at school).. Thanks for the input.. so I'll get in touch with teh sop and keep you guys updated.

Last edited:
Back