• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

15x8 vs. 15x10

Well, they would stick out a little further. Some say the 15x10 will be harder on your hubs. Most manufactures say you should run 15x10 w/ 35's (assuming you are talking about 35x12.50's).

With an equal backspace, the 15x10s would stick out 2" more on each side.
I rn 35x12.50s on a 15x8 and it works fine. The air pressure has to be run a little lower to keep a good tire patch on the ground, but it's much better for the trail when aired down. The narrower wheel keeps the tire on the bead better at low air pressure.

I know alot of people that have problems losing the bead when aired down running 15x10's. I am going to run them beadlocked to solve that problem.

I would say it depends on the tire. I'm in the market for IROKS, 36x13.50 and interco recomends a 10" wheel and the people that have run it on an 8" wheel are having problems keeping the tire seated. I have 36" SXs right now on 10" wheels and I have aired them down to 2lbs for the snow and have yet to loose a bead, knock on wood. I would ask around what people are running for the tire size and brand you want.

The only downside I see about bead locks in the lack of tire shops that are willing to work on bead locks wheels. I guess balancing is a bit tougher.

Eric@OA said:
I would say it depends on the tire. I'm in the market for IROKS, 36x13.50 and interco recomends a 10" wheel and the people that have run it on an 8" wheel are having problems keeping the tire seated. I have 36" SXs right now on 10" wheels and I have aired them down to 2lbs for the snow and have yet to loose a bead, knock on wood. I would ask around what people are running for the tire size and brand you want.

The only downside I see about bead locks in the lack of tire shops that are willing to work on bead locks wheels. I guess balancing is a bit tougher.

Its easer to keep a bead on narrower rims, the 8in wheel statement is just not ture..

I run 10in rims 3in BS on my 35-1250in MTRS on my DD toyota, makes it wider track width and the tires ware very well and evenly on the street.

On my trail rig I run 16.5X8 rims for 42-15 TSLs, I wouldent want a wider rim, I like the narrow ness. These tires un mounted are about 8in at the beads so they actualy hold air well though there is no safety bead like 15in rims.

I did burp alittle air in this stickey spot but havent lost a bead yet. (bead locks are a must for 16.5s and nice for 15in rims) If I poped a bead I just need to air up to re-setit, if I had like 12in wide rims there is no way on the trail I could air it up..

000_0025_small.jpg

Another slight advantage to me is with 8" wide rims the tire sidewall will stick out a little more to protect the rim some.

As far as the Iroks are concerned there has been a lot of discussion about that tire on Pirate. Lots of guys that have run that tire in an 8 inch wheel have lost beasts just below 10 pounds. The ones with 10" wheels have had better luck.

In general a narrower wheel will hold the tire better at low pressure, but I'm afraid of generalizing things. :star:

HoodRichXJ said:
I havent done alot of research on this topic, but I seem to have heard that beadlocks are not good for everyday driving correct?

Incorrect. They work very well for everyday driving......no difference than with regular wheels.

4x4forlife said:
99% of the true beadlocks are illegal on the street. I havent heard of people actually saying that they are not good though.

Illegal based on what info?

This has been bantered around many, many times. Supposedly they are not DOT approved, funny thing though, nearly all beadlocks are made from DOT approved wheels, so now why are they not DOT approved? This doesn't mean it's not really a law, but no one that I've seen has ever actually produced a copy of the law that says everything must be DOT approved to run on the street. So, if you had your own machine shop, and made you're own set of wheels, you're illegal because they aren't DOT approved? How about all the other mods we do to our rigs, both parts that we buy and things that we make or change ourselves......are they all DOT approved?

Let's assume that somewhere there is a law that parts must be DOT approved. It would be a federal law, not a state law, so state troopers wouldn't even have it. In all the talk about the legality of beadlocks, we've never once heard of anyone actually getting a ticket for running them. Then what do we do about all the other illegal mods that we run in addition to the beadlocks? What about changing our exhaust systems? This could go on and on....

I know this is somewhat of a rant, but it's best to just forget about beadlocks being illegal. Maybe they are, and maybe they aren't, but in reality it makes no difference.

Oh, and stick with the 8" rims, you'll be happier.

Going along with the legality of beadlocks...

I think there are very few cops who would be able to tell the difference between the streetlock (simulated beadlocks) rims and actual beadlocks enough to pull someone over - if there was indeed an enforceable law regarding beadlocks.

I ride motorcycles also (Harleys). I've never been pulled over for my helmet, which is supposedly not DOT approved (aka - skull cap, brain bucket). The laws just aren't difinitive enough to give the cop the ability to discern what is legal and what isn't based on just looking at something. Helmet laws suck, but that's another issue...

Back