• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

a/c compressor for on-board air?

there have been a few post's about it and the fittings used i posted on some of them so try a search with my name in it. but basicly it is just like any other oba install. you need to wire a pressuer switch to the clutch, put in an inline filter, run intake and exhaust hoses, pressure releif, what else???

o yea keep the filter far away from the compressor and use good hose it tends to make the air coming out very hot.

i just put a T fitting in the intake line to dump oil in works fine so far. the inline oilers say they require pressure to work.

I did it, was pretty easy after I figured out what I really needed. The fittings on the compressor are an odd size so you can either cut the hoses, get the kilby fittings or some people were able to find an NPT that fit but I wasn't.

I wired my pressure switch into the connection for the stock a/c pressure switch so that I could turn the system on/off using the a/c controls and also have the aux fan come on when the compressor was running.

Brent

i'm doing mine this summer. i'm taking the jeep off the road and doing it, with other mods. i'm instaling a 5 gal air tank in the rear of mine.

Pull the factory fittings off of the compressor. There will be 2 threaded "studs" coming out. It is a standard 3/4" pipe fitting. Just get a 3/4 to 1/2 pipe reducer, then a 1/2 to 3/8 pipe reducer, and a 3/8 to 1/4" pipe reducer. (If you want to use a smaller line, which is probably best, as 1/4" will flow more then you'll need, and be easier to route.)

It's all standard pipe fittings. Hit up Home Depot or Lowes or your local hardware store and dig through the plumbing section. You'll get all the pieces you need there.

As for lubrication. I'm just using a standard compressed air lubricator. You know, the kind that you would put in your system that will automatically lubricate your tools. I have this on the intake side, and I am using 10w30 synthetic oil. I picked it up for 30 bucks at lowes.

Total, I probably have around 150-200 bucks in my system. However, it is done right, and I bought everything new. I bought my pressure switch and a relief valve from Kilby, who I'd reccomend, if you don't mind waiting. Great service! But if you know where to look you can find all the pieces you need in town. (Even in my podunk 10,000 person town) Kilby's stuff is high quality stuff, you can find better deals on a few things, on some stuff though, Kilby has the best prices. My system is pieced together, a few parts from here, a few from there...

It is very simple to do. I spent maybe 2 hours total, including a test fit. No special tools are required, as long as you have some big wrenches as the pipe fittings are ~1-1/8". (A cresent will work)

Little late, but here's some pics of mine. BTW, the filter/seperator melts in the heat.

is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

Okie Terry said:
Little late, but here's some pics of mine. BTW, the filter/seperator melts in the heat.

Okie, last time I talked to Kilby about the melting issue, they said they started using an all-metal filter-seperator. I'm wondering if anyone has tried that one. I have a return going from my filter so when it fills up the air pushes the oil back into my compressor. Pretty trick.

-Mike

BTW- are you running a tank on yours or not? Pretty clean looking though.

Mike L said:
Okie, last time I talked to Kilby about the melting issue, they said they started using an all-metal filter-seperator. I'm wondering if anyone has tried that one. I have a return going from my filter so when it fills up the air pushes the oil back into my compressor. Pretty trick.

-Mike

BTW- are you running a tank on yours or not? Pretty clean looking though.
Nope, no tank. I have it as a backup for my CO2, but I use the CO2 so little, I'm gonna try and sell it and just use the comp. for anything that should arise. I trailer it everywhere, so I have my truck to drive around, and on long weeks like in Moab or other places, I don't mind running at 8psi on the street to and from the trails.

As for the seperator, I just removed it and ran the hose straight to the compressor. If I ever start needing it for prolonged use, I will get an all metal unit and tank.

That's a great idea on recirculating the overflow oil back into the compressor. How did you do it?

Okie Terry said:
That's a great idea on recirculating the overflow oil back into the compressor. How did you do it?

I basically did something like THIS HTH

Mike

Okie Terry said:
Oh, I see. I suppose it could be run back into the oiler as well and it would never have to be refilled.

I'm sure either way would be fine. I ran mine to the compressor since I don't run an oiler. I just ran it simple. Do you have a regualtor in yours? I will install an inline one when I finally switch my ARB to use the OBA instead of the ARB compressor. I was wondering what will happen if you hook up an air ratchet to this setup and just run it at whatever pressure is in the system I know air tools is recommended to be used at 90psi but the oba system can reach up to 150psi unregulated.

Speaking of which, that metal FILTER is $75.

-Mike

Mike L said:
I'm sure either way would be fine. I ran mine to the compressor since I don't run an oiler. I just ran it simple. Do you have a regualtor in yours? I will install an inline one when I finally switch my ARB to use the OBA instead of the ARB compressor. I was wondering what will happen if you hook up an air ratchet to this setup and just run it at whatever pressure is in the system I know air tools is recommended to be used at 90psi but the oba system can reach up to 150psi unregulated.

Speaking of which, that metal FILTER is $75.

-Mike
No I don't have a regulator, but I don't carry air tools on the trail. I have enough weight just in spares, tools, liquids, and cleanup materials.

Might be worth your time, though, to install a regulated chuck and an unregulated one.

Back