• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help!! E window prob

I would say to check the fuses, then the wiring at the switches in the door panel. Not sure how to get it up manually.

Has this been an issue, just quit all of a sudden, or been slower than normal lately??

Cory

It happened all of a sudden. It is the L front only. I pulled the door skin and checked all the connections. I would think that none of the windows would work if it was a fuse. I also checked the switch and it seems fine. Maybe tonight is a good night to leave the keeys in it!!

On my 88, I took the center bolt out, where the actuator is connected to the bottom of the window, pushed it up from the bottom. Then made an "S" hook out of welding rod to hold it up, near the front.
Found that the up wire had frayed through (under the insulation), very near the little junction block on the motor. I´d guess it frayed (fatigued) from vibration.

Hi Debacle04,

Try jiggling the wires that run under the carpet from the driver's side foot well and over the transmission tunnel. I've had both passenger and driver's side elec. windows on my 93' randomly go out and it turned out to be moisture creeping into the wiring.... Over time, the carpet underlay had accumulated moisture, to the point where when the cabin temps would start heating up, the moisture would collect into small drops and penetrate the wiring - even though the wiring looked like it was sealed tight.

Hope it helps,

Quarterwave

Kinda have the same problem. Pulled the door panel off and the motor runs, window is connected to the track. Could it be the worm drive cable is shot? Anyone replaced one of these? Easy?

Urban Redneck said:
Kinda have the same problem. Pulled the door panel off and the motor runs, window is connected to the track. Could it be the worm drive cable is shot? Anyone replaced one of these? Easy?

Broken regulator assy. Need a new one. Common on this year.

I didn't see if anybody responded to the question about the motor running but over the years I have had lots of electric window problems on various older vehicles. It always seems to be related to metal fatigue of the wires where they run from the door to the door jamb. They break inside the insulation. Everything looks fine on the outside but no continuity on the copper.

Each year range has certain problems and that's why it's so important to have the year information posted. It looks like debacle04 has an 89 by searching their other posts. These earlier years are more likely to have wiring problems like Quarterwave said. The newer ones (97-up, mostly 00-01) use a plastic mounting to the regulator track and this is what breaks sometimes sending the window crashing into the door.

HOLY SMOKES ! Thanks for all the info guys. I really appreciate it. Well this morning I took a look in the driveway and the jeep was still there, so I took another look at the door. The problem was a bad connection That I obviously didn't see last night. Thanks for the quick responses.

Solved mine with a new reg unit, good call MJR. Motor wound the worm gear totally out of the unit. $75 and 1 hour later, woohoo we have a working window.

Back