• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rotors???

heighton_mu

NAXJA Forum User
hey all had a quick question going to put napa hi performance cross drilled rotors on my xj wondering if they are fust cast iron i believe they are just wanted input thanks!!

Probably napa would be the best place to ask, do you race your jeep? I have cross-drilled on my camaro b/c they keep cooler when i brake hard around corners, truthfully i think its a waste of money, takes way too much heat than i'd ever be able to make to warp a rotor, and i cant see cross drills cooling if you crawl w/ your jeep?? Just my .02 (let me know if you really feel a difference other than just having new parts on the jeep)

I bought my cross drilleds from summitracing.com. I don't remember the brand, but you can find them online or by calling. Best improvement I have ever made. They have 110,000 miles and are working like new, with little wear. They were expensive at $160, but actually saved me money over replacing the crap jokable stock rotors that warp every 5,000 miles.

What you want are solid steel rotors, not composite. The cross drilled and slotted rotors can have a tendency to trap stuff in them when off roading and can act like a router on your brake pads.
Few years ago I bought a set of wagners while I was down in Orlando florida for a couple of weeks. Took them to a cryogenic shop that does the treatment for alot of nascar and cart teams in additon to other stuff. Was getting ready to do my rotors with them when I got a recall and Jeep replaced them under warranty, still have them sitting on the shelf along with a set of drums I had done too.
I have never had rotors warp in any of my vehicles, wife has with her last 4 cars but she also has a heavy foot on the brake and gas pedal.

Personally, i'm just looking for a rotor that will be less tendent to warp. The 55mph brake shake that my 2000 xj has, needs remedied. And from what i'm reading in various places, it seems like a 6-10k mile replacement with OEM parts.

I can easily see how drilled or slotted rotors could present some problems in the off-road environment. Are there some quality aftermarket solids that won't warp?? I looked up Jackhill's set up, that i found on an old thread. Hawk HPS pads, and Power stop drilled rotors.

I don't mind spending good money once.... over spending little money many times.

I have had great luck with the setup and no trouble off road, but I only lightly off road. I don't see it causing a problem because disc brakes naturally clean themselves, cross drilled or not.

Back